Saturday, October 03, 2026

Things to do

It's beautifully mild and sunny here, which is very nice though possibly the indication of dreadful global warming. There's a lot of work to be done in the garden. It still looks quite good from a distance, however. 

The cosmos always takes ages to flower but is worth the wait. 

Last spring, when my huge pot of amaryllis had finished flowering, for some reason I can't now remember I put it temporarily in the garden rather than on a windowsill. I never normally do this because I don't want to import slugs. And of course, five months later, it's still there. I now need to split it up (it has multiple bulbs) but it's taken it upon itself to flower now instead of spring - as well as spring? And of course the slugs have been chewing the flowers. I decided that today was the day I was going to repot it in various pots, and of course I can't get it out of the pot. Mr L is out. I need him to take one end while I yank the other. Or maybe to cut the pot off. I don't think I have anything sharp enough. 

I'm finding it harder to find things to declutter without having a Good Sort Out, which I don't have time for. Too much music to learn, too much gardening to do, too much quilting to have fun with. (Why are all my hobbies so time-consuming?) But here, guilt, guilt, is last Monday's offering. Mr L's cousin is a potter, and she made this pretty little bowl and gave it to my mother. It's been sitting in the bedroom that was Mum's when she lived with us, since Mum died in 2012, and so it's fallen victim to the purge. Someone will love it, and we have various other of Cousin S's creations. I expect Cousin S has forgotten about it. I hope. Anyway, she won't see this. 

I'm sitting here listening to Brahms's Song of Destiny and Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. I think I know the music all right, but am not so good on the words - the first one in German and the second (much harder) in all sorts of things. Listening while blogging doesn't help with the words...

Right, I'm off to start cutting out a Christmas quilt for Daughter 2. It's quite a simple one. I think. (I'm such an optimist.) Again, it's just from a photo rather than from a pattern. There's a bit of arithmetic to do. 

1 comment:

  1. You can do a quilt just from a photo! I'm impressed. The bowl is pretty but I don't use that kind of bowl very frequently. I should get rid of a bunch of mine and also glassware. I don't use most of it although it looks pretty in my hutch. Sigh. You are a good kind of busy!

    ReplyDelete