Monday, August 31, 2026

August

Long time no blog, though this may be a good thing. 

We've had a busy August, with Daughter 2, Littlest Granddaughter and her guinea pigs staying with us for most of it and my brother and sister-and-law staying for a week. Here is Littlest making a concoction. 

And here are various of us in the garden. I have no idea what was happening there. 

Guinea pigs again. 

My brother, sister-in-law and I went to see Son-in-Law 2's show in the Fringe Festival. 

Drawing. I think she was drawing...

this, which is a cat, a dog, a mouse, a tree, a branch, an owl, a bird, a butterfly... and some other things, all wearing funny hats and watching one another. She signed it with the first letter of her name and then a squiggly grown-up signature. 

We had a trip to the museum.

And now they're gone, and I feel, as ever, forlorn. But the house is tidier. On the way home to London on the train, she knitted a tummy-warmer for her elephant. 

 

10 comments:

  1. It seems you had a happy and busy August. Interesting that your SIL was in the Fringe festival. Another blogger I follow from Australia, has a son who won best comedy at the Fringe Festival this year! Your garden looks like a most pleasant place to sit and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to have a tidy house again, but the silence after they have gone is so loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat little tummy warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were playing cricket - you were the umpire and L (who I thought was me from the back again in this photo until I spotted myself in the background) and S were the spectators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - thank you, as always, for all you did for us this summer!

      Delete
    2. I figured you'd been a VBG (Very Busy Grandparent) - It's tiring having them and all their energy, but how dull things are once they've gone. We've just had the inside of the house painted, and I took the opportunity to dispose of the toys, games etc that were no longer being played with. They did the final "approval" before anything was irrevocable disposed of. The shelves are much emptier. I also got rid of cookbooks - the painters kindly resolved the books, but put them in spine inwards!! So, some of them went to new homes too. We have a local "I love Karori" Facebook page, and anything you want to give away gets snapped up in no time. And you know it's gone to a home that wants it. And it's GONE!! Win win!

      Delete
    3. Well done! I must restart Minimalising Monday!

      Delete
    4. I'm going to try a trick I read about - keeping a box/bag at the front door, where I will drop anything I want to get rid of. That way all I've got to do is pick up the bag. It might work!!

      Delete
  5. How can August be gone already? I looks like you had a lovely month - now you can rest. Beloved Aunt Annie turned 90 yesterday. Littlest granddaughter is doing so well with her knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping busy with family is the best! It was difficult for me to be away for a week because I missed my grandsons, daughters and my cat. John too! :) Littlest one knits? I'm impressed since I could never pick up the skill.

    ReplyDelete