Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Island of Bute

My husband and I have just returned from a few days on the island of Bute, which is off the west coast of Scotland. We'd never been there before, though we love the island of Arran, which is quite close to Bute - indeed, the mountains of Arran loom in the distance when you're on one side of Bute. Bute is less hilly than Arran, and indeed generally less inhabited, apart from in the (only) town of Rothesay. Rothesay has six thousandish out of Bute's total of seven thousandish inhabitants. The rest of the island is very peaceful: mainly just seabirds, cattle, sheep, sand and rustling grass.

These photos are views from our bedroom window over to the mainland. The weather was hot - it crept up to about 80F, 27C (or something) in some parts of Scotland, which is about as hot as it ever gets here. Our first morning there, however, we woke up to mist, which gradually lifted to reveal the ferry coming into Rothesay bay - above.
And this was the sun setting behind the hills. It made us glad to be alive.

Our bed and breakfast place was lovely. Most B & Bs I've visited have been heavily into frilly curtains and collections of horse brasses or novelty teapots. This one had neutral colours and furniture with clean lines and etched glass - all very stylish. It made me want to come home and throw all my old stuff away.

However, their garden was mainly paving and gravel. It was good to come home to my flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh... I remember hearing about the beauty of those islands (Arran and Bute) when we visited Ireland last year. Looks like you had a great view and I would love your "hot" weather and mist! :)

    And I bet it was really nice to come home to your lovely flowers. Even though my flowers were nothing like the ones on Vancouver Island, it was still nice to see them when I got home. Emabrassingly, many were doing better than before we left?! Perhaps I should leave the automatic sprinkler on them all summer, and not just when we're on holiday? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you may have hit on a good horticultural idea there...

    ReplyDelete