Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Old Professor

The second blog I ever read was Paul's, and I chanced on him by accident by clicking "Next Blog" at the top of the page of the first one I ever read. As you may know if you've tried it, this normally leads one to the rantings of illiterate teenagers, so I count myself very lucky to have found Paul.

He's 85 - must be coming up for 86 now - he lives in California and he's a hoot. We've been exchanging long emails for about four years now as a result of that lucky click. This is his picture, shamelessly stolen off his blog - http://www.oldprof.blogspot.com/ or click on the link on my blogroll.

Do visit him and say hello if you don't know him yet. You should read his second-last post ("Things Old Professors Do") before you read the last one ("Sheez!") , or you won't get the full effect. I want to be like him when I'm 85. Except not a man. Preferably.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how beautifully random! This is going to be my "Friday afternoon skive" read at work tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best bloggers are stumbled upon. Going to visit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another blog to make me smile. Thanks.
    I want to know about the book you wrote and if it is still available. Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled on his blog a couple of weeks ago! Just love him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! What a great blog -- YOU've been holding out on us! Thanks for the wonderful recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:09 am

    Who would have guessed? I've been reading the Old Prof for a couple of years myself! He such a thoughtful man. I always enjoy his perspective on life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, the Old Professor ... another one of my neglected ...

    I see I have been tagged ... Hmmm.

    Please don't hold your breath ... but I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also like to stumble upon new friends, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:58 pm

    it's interesting that you remember. I rarely do. I stumble upon blogs all the time but rarely remember how. Well, I used to. I rarely go exploring anymore to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, Paul is great, isn't he! I've also been following his blog for a few years. His daughter is an extremely creative lady, with her own very special blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He looks lovely, I'll visit him, though I really don't need another blog to follow, but actually I think there should always be room for a new one...

    I found Joe (Plutarch) when I was googling for information about Roscoff pink onions; he'd got some in the kitchen and they were one of his three beautiful things that day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for introducing the 'Old Professor'! His blog is highly amusing!!!

    ReplyDelete