Friday, October 08, 2010

The weekend at last


Have you seen the YouTube clip of the silent "monks"? Sorry that I have again forgotten how to do the wee tv screen thing. Rather impressive, if a bit mad (the "monks", not me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSk8h1oG8nY

Edited to add: stolen from Marcheline! - http://mrssplapthing.blogspot.com/


Below, you will see one reason why Mr Life is a fine fellow. He's been having trouble with the company that supplied 24-hour care to my confused aunt before she went into the care home. After many emails pointing out that they were charging us too much, he eventually got the following reply:

Following my investigation I can confirm that we have now amended all the incorrect invoices from 5th July.

As you had received previous amended invoices and credit/debit notes, we have cancelled any previous amendments that were made on the attached invoices and re-amended the invoices and have attached the final copies.

For example:

You originally received G1996827; this was then cancelled and replaced with G1996827-DN-1. Due to the errors on the invoices we have now cancelled G1996827-DN-1 and replaced this with G1996827-DN-2.

You originally received G2007172; an additional charge was then raised on G2007172Z. Due to the errors on the invoices we have now cancelled G2007172 and G2007172Z and replaced this with the attached invoice G2007172-DN-1.

I imagine that this actually makes perfect sense, but I think I'll just go and have a little lie down instead of fathoming it out. I'm sure Mr Life has it all under control.

In fact, my lie down will be in the bath, reading Diana Athill's Life Class - a more entertaining read than that email. Ms Athill was born in 1917, is still alive and these are her collected memoirs - she's had an interesting life and writes well and extremely honestly about it. My memoirs wouldn't feature so much event. In fact, none. Was born. Read lots of books. Got married. Wrote one book. Taught. Had three children. Read more books. Gardened. Three children grew up. A further chapter (I hope). The End.

Hmm. Maybe I ought to do something.

16 comments:

  1. I'm distracted by that picture of Bach. Do you think he got up every morning, re-did that parting in his wig and put little hair clips in to keep it like that? I'd like to think he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find the best videos. You better keep Mr. Life -- he's a very handy guy to have around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly I'm glad Mr Life can cope! Love the S.ilent Monks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do people have to make things so complicated these days? It would have been so much easier to say "Tear up the first invoices. Pay these".

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFLMAO!!! That video clip has me still laughing 10 minutes after I watched it! Thanks Isabelle - it's been a rather ordinary week, and you provided a much needed laugh ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should add "Blogged." to your life events.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of 'Life Class'. Must follow that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wrote a book? What book? Want to know! Tell!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isabelle, where ever did you find that video of the silent monks?

    *WINK-WINK-NUDGE-NUDGE-SAY-NO-MORE*

    *SHE SAID KNOWINGLY*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, sorry Marcheline. I got it from you! But I couldn't remember who it was!

    It was very funny, though - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wrote a book? that little teaser slipped in quietly is not sufficient...we need details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, come on. You're one child up on me for a start.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, I give you credit for typing that message example, never mind trying to decipher it - the zany thing calls for a lie down indeed!

    Once again, parts of my life parallel yours... have been on hold trying to get a bill belonging to my parents straightened out, all the while I've read your message and composed this comment. Off to watch the video. Have a great week, Isabelle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isabelle, I was just yankin' your chain, bein' funny (or at least attempting it). I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it, and even gladder that more people got to see it because you have exponentially more readers than I do! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hurrah for Mr Life!

    Thanks for the info about the Diana Athill book, I shall seek it out.

    Have you read her memoir about aging 'Somewhere towards the end'?
    So honest and wise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Life Class sounds really interesting. I'll add that to the list of books I may one day get around to reading if life would stop interfering with reading time.

    ReplyDelete