Sunday, February 07, 2016

Being Granny




Goodness, these photos look big, at least as I'm typing ... .


Our lives are very uneventful but at the same time full of activity, such as on Thursday when I took the little ones to the Botanics. First we went to the cafĂ© (of course) and then wandered down the path and down through the Chinese Garden.



Then we looked at the Aeolian harp, which we have never heard making a sound, though you couldn't accuse Edinburgh of failing to produce the requisite wind. Still, it provides a handy step for photo opportunities. ("How would the wind make the harp play, Granny?" "Um... by moving over the strings." "But how would that make a noise, Granny?"). Yes, how? Wikipedia says: The motion of the wind across a string causes periodic vortices downstream, and this alternating vortex causes the string to vibrate. Ah. Now I know. Kind of.





Standing on a rock, you can pretend to be a statue.



And then we came home and drew and stuck and cut. Granddaughter discovered that you could make a stack of felt pens, as below.

(Blogger won't let me type anything underneath this picture. I wish it would stop adjusting itself.)

Perhaps I should be achieving something more permanent than playing with small people who won't remember a thing about it when they're bigger, but how they enrich my life with their soft little faces, their enthusiastic cuddles and their innocent giggles.

10 comments:

  1. Your blog is always interesting and I enjoy seeing pics of Scotland. It is so different from southern California. It is so GREEN and there is so much WATER. But I especially enjoy seeing pics of your grand children. I've been following you way too long.,....I remember when you announced your daughter was expecting. Grandson now looks old enough for school. Will he be starting in the fall? Your young miss is adorable. She is so cute with her curly pig tails and rosy cheeks. Have a lovely week. Patty Mc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the top photo with them looking at each other. Makes a change from the front on shots we usually take of folk.
    Sounds like you are doing a top rate job of being a Granny.
    Some of the questions can be very searching....maybe one day the harp will play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have grandchildren to play with or hang out with, so it sounds utterly perfect to me. It is great how kids want to know how everything works, and how little we adults are aware of any of that. Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are enriching their lives without a doubt whether they remember the detail or no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely memories to keep and cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an important relationship, and they will remember on some level how close you were when they were small. I am waiting for grandchildren (can't wait actually!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They may not remember it all, but sharp gleaming little fragments will shine out and remind them of a very happy, loved time when they could ask their own complicated questions, trusting that they would be taken seriously. A wonderful time for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was very close to my mother's parents and I think my grandchildren are just that close to me....It helps that we all live fairly close together. Getting to spend time with grandchildren is a joy and a blessing to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your two grandchildren are just beautiful. You must have such fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:03 pm

    Such delightful pictures Pam, thank you.

    ReplyDelete