Thursday, November 16, 2017

Out and about


It's been a very outdoorsy sort of week, with beautiful autumn weather. Somehow autumn sunshine is lovelier because you know winter is coming.



Granddaughter the Eldest and I had a trip to the Botanics and played in the leaves.



Then Mr Life and I had a day out on the bus to nearby Haddington, and walked along the river there.



It was a perfect day and we felt quite holidayish.



See how long the shadows are, and it was only mid-morning.



In the town, we said hello to Bridge Street, where my beloved Granny was born.




 and then we sat having lunch and looking out past a little lemon tree (with two lemons - so exotic) at the bridge.





Another day, we went with our walking friends to Penicuik (pronounced pennycook) and did a circular tour round Penicuik House, built in the 1760s and ruined by fire in 1899. The walls have been preserved so that you can see that it was once a beautiful Palladian mansion, and the estate is now open to the public.




This is still a vista from the house down an avenue of trees to a monument .



The walk was about seven miles and, despite the lovely weather, quite muddy in parts.



And then the other day Granddaughter the Eldest and I went to the museum and dressed up as explorers.

It's a surprisingly busy life. Which is very good.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your lovely day - and I really like your new header photo! What sort of blooms are those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:38 pm

    I, too, like your header - the colours are right for the time of year.

    I wish I could get dressed as an explorer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good life you have, good and busy. And beautiful. You have so many great places to walk and visit. Your grandchildren will have great memories of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful walks and times with the grands. I've been doing lots of walking, but nothing so scenic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking... I really NEED to follow your example and get to walking! When we cone to Edinburgh again, I really do want to go the the places you share here!

    ReplyDelete