Thursday, January 03, 2019

And then...


On Christmas Day, Son, Daughter-in-Law and The Unbloggable Toddler came down - Son was working on Christmas Eve and again on the 27th, so they could only stay one night. We all went to the playpark. Here's The Unbloggable Toddler swinging...


... and here's Son with his niece, Littlest.

The house was quite full with us all in it. Just for that one night, there were 11 of us sleeping in the house - and with four bedrooms and two bathrooms, that's quite a lot, especially as TUT needs a room to herself because she's only recently become a good(ish) sleeper. It was fine, though. At the fullest point, we had Niece in the sitting room on a sofa, Daughter 2 and SIL 2 in the dining room on a blow-up bed and Littlest in the study... well, at least for the part of the night when she slept... .

And there were 15 to dinner, which would be easy enough if there weren't six vegetarians among us, some of us rather fussy. (Or - looking at it another way - if the other nine weren't carnivores... .) Also, one son-in-law is diabetic and the other has a nut allergy. But we all got fed.

It would have been even easier if I hadn't had a rotten cold and sore throat (which I later passed on to my sister-in-law - so sorry!) and Littlest hadn't been keeping some of us from sleeping rather a lot.



Look at her - she has a completely clear conscience as she prepares to empty my recycling bin


and, for the umpteenth time, takes all the Elastoplast and micropore tape and antiseptic ointment out of the drawer.


Then, on various days, all the young ones went away, alas, and then my brother and his wife and the pair of us went to the BP Portrait Exhibition in the rather impressive Portrait Gallery. The portraits were amazing.



This one won first prize. I love it.You can't see it very well on this postcard, but some of the items on the table look as if they're magically spinning.  


We walked home afterwards. I would hate to live somewhere so big that you couldn't walk home if you really wanted to.


Then on Hogmanay (New Year's Eve) we brought in the New Year at Daughter 1's, which was lovely,


and later she and her family, including her lovely parents-in-law, came to dinner with us and Mr L's cousin.

And that's what happened in the last couple of weeks - except that today we heard that Son and Daughter-in-Law's new baby, due in May, is a boy. Grandson is very happy. "Yay!" he said. "It's not usually a boy." ("It" being a new baby in the family - though actually he does have a baby boy cousin on his dad's side.) He is the patriarch of the cousins.

And we're all excited and looking forward to meeting the New Unbloggable Baby. Or NUB.

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! As always, I love your photos and stories. Congrats on the new grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this and you had a cold at the same time. You must be made of iron! I am so happy for your grandson! I can imagine his joy! And I love the names TUT and NUB! And your littlest has too much charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you all had a wonderful family Christmas. Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Pam. We have a non-sleeping grandson now but he is coming on apace despite it and I can hardly lift him at six months old. You were unlucky to get that cold - I hope it has cleared. So is that five grandchildren now? You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, four and a half. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. Another grandchild? Your cup runneth over! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:41 pm

    I don't know how you manage to look after all those people whilst coping with a cold. You are quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHMYGOSH! Congratulations!!! A BOY! (I don't think I can tell my children though, who keep hoping for a boy LOL) It sounds like you've had a wonderful time (apart from sickness and lack of sleep). I chuckled when I read that TUT needs a room of her own -- we have that problem too and I wonder how next Christmas will be -- will both grandbabies need their own separate rooms? I envy you that you can walk home -- I would LOVE that! 2019 promises to be fun and exciting for you -- Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete