Friday, January 17, 2020

Pictures


We went to the BP portrait competition exhibition (the last one, since the galleries have decided that BP isn't very suitable as a sponsor, hmm) the other day. This portrait got third prize. I know it's very photographic and some people think you might as well take a photo but look! The skill in using paints in such a realistic way!


Look at the veins and the slighly chipped nails! Her clothes are slightly bobbled and the hot water bottle is a bit grubby. Amazing! I'd have given it first prize, myself.



Another day we went up to visit the Unbloggables. Little Grandson is so cute! - full of grins, so soft and squashy and trying to walk - as yet unsuccessfully, since he's only eight months.


Medium Granddaughter is lovely too.


I'm continuing my trawl through the archives. Here's Son at 3. He was very cute too, in my maternal opinion.


This is from a 1948 newspaper, the year that Mr L was born. Sixteen babies died that week in Edinburgh and lots of older people from diseases that sound Dickensian, like phthisis. I didn't know it was still called that then.


This dates from when Son was a little boy, probably seven, when he announced that he'd drawn a rude picture. Somewhat horrified, I investigated. Not too rude, really.


And here's one of Mr Life's great-grandfathers. This means that he's our grandchildren's great-great-great-grandfather. How wonderful (I hope they'll think, one day) to have a photo of one's great-great-great-grandfather. I know the names of mine, but that's all.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:48 pm

    What an incredible painting! That is true skill from the artist, what a gift.

    I have just recently found out the name of my Father's Father - the totally fitting Welsh name of David. He died long before my birth but I knew his wife, the tiny Amelia. Of my Mother's parentage I am still totally unaware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe the detail and realism of those hands! First place in my book too!! I love looking at old photos. I've never heard of phthisis. I'll have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool post, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- that BP portrait is amazing! I'll bet you're having fun working away with your archives. I love the old pictures and, like you, I hope one day my grandchildren will find great value in them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really admire the skill of that portrait of the artist's grandmother, at the age of 95. It is excellent work and does tell a lot about the woman, and about aging, perhaps, in spite of or perhaps because of, the photographic realism. Your son looks as if he has a bit of a mischievous side to his personality! And what a delightful drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Skilled portrait, and I like the photos of your family and the great grandfather. I am writing a little book about our family history to keep the stories alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello friends. I've been reluctant in purchasing this blank ATM card I heard about online because everything seems too good to be true, but I was convinced when my friend got the card from Sebastian hackers & we both confirmed it really works, without delay I gave it a go. Ever since then I've been withdrawing about $10,000 daily from the card without having any bank account and now I can say I'm rich because I keep renewing my card after 3 months and I also have my business and enough money for my family. So glad I gave it a try at last & this card has really changed my life financially without getting caught, its real & truly works though its illegal but made me rich!! If you need this card from real hackers then contact them today via their email address:sebastianhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello friends. I've been reluctant in purchasing this blank ATM card I heard about online because everything seems too good to be true, but I was convinced when my friend got the card from Sebastian hackers & we both confirmed it really works, without delay I gave it a go. Ever since then I've been withdrawing about $10,000 daily from the card without having any bank account and now I can say I'm rich because I keep renewing my card after 3 months and I also have my business and enough money for my family. So glad I gave it a try at last & this card has really changed my life financially without getting caught, its real & truly works though its illegal but made me rich!! If you need this card from real hackers then contact them today via their email address:sebastianhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete