Saturday, April 04, 2020

Lockdown week 2 - Saturday



We went up the hill again today because it's nice to get a wider perspective than our current shrunken life affords.


This is the path - steeper than it looks in the photo - which we hope to be skipping up by the time this is all over.


So far, we're still puffing slightly.


This is the last bit, looking down. 


And this is the seat that we sit on at the top - 


merely to enjoy the view, of course.


And then we go over the flat bit, looking towards the Pentlands


and wend our way down through the gorse bushes.


My quilt top finished, I've got back to the archives. I remember this photo being taken. A photographer came to the house, which was very exciting. It's a black and white photo which has been tinted, and this was my so-called Coronation dress, because it had red, white and blue raised dots. The tinter has correctly got my brother's eyes as blue and mine as brown, and that chair was indeed a fawn colour. I remember its slippery fabric.


I've also been going through the archives of my late aunt, of whom we were very fond. She lived in Norfolk and we had many wonderful holidays with her. She had no children so I took her things to sort them out. This is a packet of all the references she was given when applying for different jobs. They're all extremely glowing. I was going to throw them out and then I decided that I wouldn't. She was a teacher but was also a church worker for a while. 



I love the sentence structure of this one: "Fortunate will the vicar be who secures her help in the life of his church and parish." No, he didn't write this in 1800 but 1956. I don't imagine the referee would have expected his reference to be published in a blog in 2020 but life is full of surprises.




4 comments:

  1. I remember getting letters from my paternal grandmother; her penmanship was beautiful and her sentences flowery, but I wish that I had kept them! They would be a treasure to me now. Mr. L and you are getting out and about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute photo Pam. It is easy to tell it's you. I think you had smocking on your dress. I may have had a dress the same pattern I think. Puffed sleeves and smocked front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo and I love your coronation dress. Yes keep the letters though some younger people seem to find it difficult to read running writing these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Pam! I LOVE that adorable little picture of you -- and surprise -- it looks just like YOU LOL!!! You are so beautiful! And the letters! Isn't it so hard to decide what to keep? I'm glad you've kept them -- they are treasures. I say, let the next generation make the hard decisions LOL.

    ReplyDelete