Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Enjoyable things we do

The warm weather went away again and now it's more normally Aprilish. On cue, my big amaryllis burst into bloom. I split up and repotted the other big one last year, and this year only one offshoot from it bloomed, so I gave it to a friend. I have too many but can't quite make myself throw any out because they're so beautiful - briefly. 

The country is in blossom. 

I sowed a seed tray with cosmos the other week - only using half the packet - and approximately two hundred seedlings appeared. I've now pricked forty-something of them out (does my garden have room for forty-something? - doubtful) but again, don't like throwing plants away so... I think I'll guerilla-garden them in clumps. I do some guerilla gardening by local roadsides, normally with bulbs, but why not some cosmos? 


We went to a local flower show on Sunday. So lovely to see all that colour together.  I can never see much difference between the first prize blooms and the unplaced ones. 

They all look great to me. 

Big Grandson still loves his sketching. He takes great care over the accuracy of his vehicles and road signs. He doesn't really draw people. 

Littlest Granddaughter in London went to an egg hunt by a pond. 

And I've machined the binding on to my latest quilt - I've just to sew it on the back now. I do like a stripy binding. 

We took some stuff to a charity shop today - mainly things that Daughter 2 cleared out of her cupboard here, the last time she visited - and had a wet walk nearby, for a change of scene. I was impressed by the tulipness of this garden. I wonder if the owner digs them all up and replaces them each year? Tulips don't do so well in subsequent years, sadly, or at least not in our soil. 

Wordle and Quordle have entered my life in the past few months. Yours too? I have to finish Wordle before I get out of bed in the morning, but usually just do a bit of Quordle and then complete it (often with Mr L's help) later. What a waste of time! But then is it, when it's enjoyable? Discuss. 

 

7 comments:

  1. I love tulips but many of mine have come up over and over in the 9 years since I planted them. The parrot tulips were a one year thing; that's a shame since they were so beautiful. It would be a LOT of work to dig them up every year. Word games and puzzles are never a waste of time; they keep our minds sharp and engaged. Do you also do Worldle? It's a killer. Love the flowers although daffs are not my favorite. Too yellow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers are wonderful. We are several weeks behind here in northern NYS. We are just between crocuses and daffodils. I WORDLE everyday and share with 2 former teaching colleagues. It keeps us in touch as only one is still working. I was about to give it up (the sharing) when the working one said how much she loves the contact with us, so I'll keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lived in my house since 1994 and every year tulips that the previous homeowner planted still bloom. They are at least 30 years old. We have relandscaped several times, changing where the flower beds are, but those tulips have been persistent. They come up through grass and even through the middle of new shrubs we have planted!

    I like your stripy quilt binding, and your grandchildren look as delightful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cosmos! We can sometimes get them self-sown if there's enough rain ... all of those daffodils at the flower show look like absolute perfection. How do people do it? I Wordle and Quordle every day and if I get bored at work I do the Sedocordle which is sixteen! Good fun. I also do the Worldle where you have to guess a country ...the rest of the family beat me at this routinely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! N's drawing is AMAZING! He's getting so big! I don't wordle or quordle -- I'm afraid if I get started I won't stop. I don't think it's a waste of time though if it keeps you thinking. Our tulips never do well on subsequent years, so two years ago I started digging them up and planting new ones in just a tiny little patch. This year we're at war with a bunny though -- he's trying to eat them faster than they grow. (Grrr.) (On the plus side, we have blooming daffodils though!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen a local flower show... or any flower show except at an agricultural fair... and they are in late summer, so no daffodils. I have never had any luck with tulips and have no idea if the ones I planted here last year are going to bloom... they have just begun to shoot up, and then we have had temps below freezing again and dare I say it (snow) is predicted for Easter tomorrow. Sigh... I love the idea of guerilla gardening by planting flowers along the roadside! I Wordle every day with my younger son, my d-i-l, and now my niece. It isnt a waste of time as it keeps us thinking! and I also love to stay connected with family, as well. We can get a bit competitive and tease each other, so that makes it more fun. I had not heard of Quordle? I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have to introduce this hacker that I have been working with him on getting my credit score been boosted across the Equifax, TransUnion and Experian report. He made a lot of good changes on my credit report by erasing all the past eviction, bad collections and DUI off my credit report history and also increased my FICO score above 876 across my three credit bureaus report you can contact him for all kind of hacks . Email him here support@wavedrive.tech go on their website wavedrive.tech for more details,Whatsapp No:+14106350697 if you want to chat them up,One thing i can assure you would not regret this at all he is 100% legit.

    ReplyDelete