Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Blessings

Daughter 2 and Littlest Granddaughter came for the weekend (since Monday was a Coronation-based holiday) and we watched the spectacle. I felt that this was a bold choice of frock for this singer, but am not known for my flamboyant fashion choices so I may be wrong. 

I don't really have any terribly strong views about the monarchy. It's a daft system but on the other hand it seems to work fairly well. Even if they were deposed, the royals would be very rich, and they do work fairly hard, in their way, for their money. Much harder than most aristocrats, I'd think. Poor old Queenie was still at work, at least a bit, shaking Liz Truss's hand, three days (was it?) before she died. From my advanced age of nearly 73, I realise that old people have - if nothing else - a longer view of things than the young do. In my lifetime, many Prime Ministers and presidents have come and gone, endlessly changing, but the monarchy gives us some continuity. Which I think is good. 

According to Daughter 2, the Coronation cost us £100 million, Since Charles was king already, did we actually need it at all? Could no one think of a better use for £100 million? However, since we paid for it, we watched it, and if we're talking about flamboyant frocks, boy, did we see a lot of those on HM, his family, various bishops and archbishops and so on. There was some beautiful embroidery, applique (sorry, can't do accents) and so on. 

And marching. We do good marching, even in the rain. 

It's all a bit daft. 

On Sunday we went to the Botanics and Littlest pretended to be a statue. 

And there was lots of playing in her blanket-den-house. 

and the first sandpitting of the season.

But now they've gone again and as usual, I'm bereft. All this coming and going fairly takes it out of me. Well, the coming is fine. It's the going that never gets any easier. 

Still, at least we all like one another, unlike the poor old royals, with Harry and his shenanigans. He should count his many blessings. As should I. 

 

3 comments:

  1. How lovely to have family there! I too have mixed feelings about the monarchy although being American I have no real right to any opinions. I cringe at the expense of it while enjoying pageantry and ceremony and valuing tradition and continuity. I think that puts me with you, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bishops around the king made me think of midwives. They looked as though they were holding him up some of the time, though it was actually his robes they were holding. I love the pageantry, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the spectacle very much, (although I was waiting for someone to comment that there were three at this coronation.) The children's behaviour seemed exemplary - no fidgeting, shuffling, stretching etc: particularly perhaps the page boys, boys being noted for activity and possible short attention spans, who endured what must have felt like tedium and boredom. I was taken by the admiration of the New Yorker correspondent for Princess Charlotte, whom he said " kept a firm grip on Prince Louis as you would on a small cocker spaniel." I felt sad for Harry, who I believe to be motivated by ideals, and I regretted that on my broadcast he appeared to be rapidly balding.

    ReplyDelete