Friday, June 02, 2023

Blue blue blue

It's really all about the flowers at the moment. I've been toiling away in the garden, which isn't large but which I've foolishly made very time-consuming over the years. There are too many flower beds to be tended by an ageing person who needs to get on with her latest quilt, abandoned since we had Daughter 2 and Littlest Granddaughter and then our lovely American cousins. But look at those irises! 

I think the blue is my favourite but I also like this two-tone maroon one

and the white. Irises always remind me of my childhood garden, though those irises were purple. (I must get some purple ones.)

This one is interesting too, though not my favourite. What colour is it? Sort of browny red... there ought to be a more precise word but I can't think what it is.

I love the ceanothus - such a vivid blue. 

and the alliums, which come up faithfully ever year and are beloved by the bees. 

And I bought this thalictrum only last year; it's doing well so far. 

It's always a pleasure to go to the Botanics, especially as I have no responsibility for it. And things can be done on a rather larger scale there. 

I thought we might be too late for the mecanopsis. But no. 

Ooh.

Ah.

Back in our garden, the Edinburgh Two play frisbee in the sun. We need rain, though; the ground is like dust. 

 





6 comments:

  1. We need rain too. The weather is beautiful but I'm tired of watering. I LOVE that blue iris and want it! The others are pretty too although blue and purple are my favorites. Like that gorgeous poppy! Older daughter has a bunch of alliums; we had no clue what they were at first. They look like an alien flower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your irises are beautiful, particularly the blue one. The two-tone meconopsis is gorgeous.
    I'm sure we'll get rain in abundance before long and bemoan the lack of sun - typical British summer, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. We'll get a downpour just as the peonies are at their fullest bloom, which will ruin them...

      Delete
  3. I might call that browny Iris Maroon, and the two toned one Burgundy and yellow. They are all very beautiful, and a tribute to your skill and effort in your little patch of paradise. The two-toned poppy is spectacular too, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard of meconopsis so googled them ... and they would do very nicely in Canberra I think! How beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get some for your new garden!

      Delete