Saturday, October 12, 2024

Away again!


We've been away again - not really like us except, seemingly, this autumn - this time to Crieff Hydro. We were there in the summer with the family and then the Hydro sent us a 20% off offer so we thought... well, why not have a couple of nights just by ourselves? It's very familiar territory - my family went there for the summer holiday every year from when I was 3 to when I was 12, and then we've been back fairly often over the years with our children, with my parents and my brother's family and then with the grandchildren and other family members. It didn't occur to us till recently that this was the first time we'd been there on our own since our honeymoon! It's only about an hour away and we only went for two nights, so it was very easy: not much packing or planning. 


The first full day, we visited Drummond Castle Gardens, dating from the 16th century, though obviously changed a bit since then. The autumn colours were beautiful - much better than shown in the photos. 



We've been before, but I don't think in the autumn. They're lovely at any time of year. 


These leaves look good enough to eat.

Then in the afternoon we climbed the Knock, as one has to do when staying at the Hydro. This is a hill just behind the hotel. 

I just can't express how much I love this place - the only trouble being that it's steeped for me in nostalgia: memories of my parents, of my small children, of my baby grandchildren - all now gone or different. However, the memories are happy ones. 

My parents' ashes are scattered under one of these trees. 

 

And then the following day, on the way home, we visited Scone Palace Gardens, where autumn was again very lovely. 



We had such a nice time. And we'll be back - I hope!


4 comments:

  1. The colors are so rich and your photos certainly capture some of that beauty. It must have been even more impressive in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn is coming on apace. The rich colours are beautiful in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous gardens and lovely memories! Nostalgia is such a mix of joy and sadness, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. what beautiful autumn colours! you do visit some lovely spots ... that I fully intend to come and see at some point in the future, it all looks delightful. I am thinking of planning a UK tour that either (1) covers ALL tiny towns that I know an ancestor of mine came from or (2) goes to the places (like Perth! or indeed Richmond) that also exist in Australia, just because it would be so weird.... Might do it in October though, such pretty leaves

    ReplyDelete