Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Blogs as social history?

I wonder whether blogs will one day provide a huge source for social historians: millions of modern-day Peypses giving news of their everyday lives and spilling out the secrets of their souls. Or do blogs die if unattended, like potted plants? Is anyone collecting them and preserving them? People write emails rather than letters now, don't they? I wonder if there will be fewer published collections of letters in the future because all those emails have vanished.

I have no idea whether many more people write blogs than used to write diaries, but I'd have thought so. As a teacher who tries to get students to write, I find it interesting that so many people clearly enjoy writing. I suppose, too, that it's the two-way nature of blogging and commenting that's so appealing. No one can have too many friends.

My son has just come in. "I did 100 sit-ups and 100 press-ups today," he announced.

Ah. I didn't.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Isabelle,
    Thanks for your friendly comment on my blog. Glad you like it; I must admit I am using it as a shortcut. I still have a number of penpals (yes, old fashioned PENpals) around the world, and it is so easy to write about my activities on my blog, then just print selected bits out for each penpal.. beats writing all those letters from scratch! I have just read yours from start to now, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have put you on my favorites list to return to! Not on the side bar of my blog yet - that will come next time I update it...that takes time and skills that I am still unsure of. And I don't have a daughter to guide me! But I do have some good friends who have shown me how to set up my blogs and do some of the extra bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:28 pm

    Hello Isabelle, I agree with Gina... it is easier to blog rather than letter write. I find it much faster to find out about other people as it is right there in front of you on the screen.. and you tend to write much more than you would in a letter. Don't get me wrong, I love giving and receiving hand written notes, and put quite an effort into making them look pretty. Hope to get to know you some more, and I will visit again very soon. as I hope you will visit me! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Isabelle! Great to get a comment from you and to know that a respectable person such as yourself is reading my silly blog. :) Best of luck on your continuing quest to better your health. I have a feeling you will get there this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    Congrats.
    Social historians are here, that's a great find.

    My most recent update on blog as a tool for social history in Scotland may be of interest to your audience. See:
    Blog archives: Web 2.0 tools as sources for social history

    Keep up the good work and I will find your shadow somewhere in an archive.
    Best, Mohamed

    ReplyDelete