Monday, October 05, 2020

Not a dull moment - virus life continues

We're not allowed to go into other people's houses, apart from for child care purposes. We always have the Edinburgh grandchildren on Friday afternoons, when there's no school, together with SIL 1, but last Friday we had the children only - which we reckoned was within the rules. 


They played together sometimes and also did their own things. 



They stayed the night and it was lovely. Biggest Granddaughter went home on Saturday afternoon but Big Grandson decided that he would stay on - "a double sleepover, Granny!"


He, a great fan of public transport, has been deprived of riding on it for months now, so we went on a tram ride after Mr L departed to take Biggest Granddaughter home. We went out to the airport, back into town and then back again to near our house. He found it really interesting and I find him really interesting, so we were both happy. The tram wasn't busy and everyone wore masks; it felt fairly safe. 


It's been beautiful weather recently for walking, 

with berries

and autumn colour - during these last few days when our landscapers would have been here if the road hadn't been dug up (sigh). 

Optimistically, I took a "before" photo of the ex-hedge yesterday. 

Then it became quite wet and I thought: THEY'RE NOT GOING TO COME! 



Today was supposed to be - and indeed turned out to be - a day of sunshine and showers and thankfully they did come. They took down the fence between us and our neighbours, drilled out the huge lumps of concrete that had been holding the fence posts up and then went away with the old fence and the concrete. (Our neighbour, already deaved (Scottish word for wearied and annoyed) by the massive renovations in the house opposite, was not thrilled.) They're back tomorrow with a digger, which will be the exciting bit and also the bit that Big Grandson wants us to film, which is a pity since we're going up to visit Son and his family. We can't go inside his house, so it'll be a case of playparking, I think. I hope it doesn't rain. 


Daughter 2 sent these photos of Littlest Granddaughter doing yoga. So cute! (I don't think I could do this... .)



I might just about manage this, though I think my stomach might get in the way.

I've been spending lots of time quilting my friend's quilt and now my fingers are quite sore. I can never wait to see the finished effect! Another week or so should see it finished. No one would believe how much time it takes (me) to make a quilt - and mine are relatively simple, with what seems to be called big stitch quilting. But there are a lot of these stitches. I began at the end of July and have spent hours of many days making it (though not in the couple of weeks in August when Daughter 2 and Littlest Granddaughter were here). It's fun, though, and I've come to almost like these very bright fabrics, which I would never in a million years have thought of putting together but which sort of work in a random sort of way. 

5 comments:

  1. They are bright and creative children; you are very fortunate! I'm glad that these projects are getting done and that you get to visit Son and his family. I will hope for decent weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see the 'Beano' is still being read. I always bought Beano and Dandy for my son then grandsons, now they are all too old. Not even sure if it is still for sale here anymore. I must check. My son still has his Beano and Dandy annuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be SURE to post a photo of this quilt when it is finished. I am so looking forward to seeing it! I have also made a quilt for someone else where I thought the colors would be quite horrible, but when finished, it was quite nice... in it's own way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got your little grand daughter's second pose down. However, I could use a few tips from her on achieving that first one. For years I've been 'meaning' to make a quilt for younger daughter. At first it was to be with a horse theme but she recently told me it didn't have to be, that she also loved flowers. As interpreted in Kaffee Fassett fabrics. They are gorgeous and extremely bright, and the thought of stitching something that breaks every rule of color combination in a quilt that I ever learned brings on an anxiety attack. Google it and you'll see what I mean. You're in good shape with your big stitch quilting. The one I'm randomly, now and again, putting a few quilting stitches in, was the class project in my first quilting class - circa 1991....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, Oldest Grandson is truly a treasure -- I had the biggest smile reading about a double sleepover. And the yoga poses are just too sweet! Isn't it funny how your tastes can change with quilting in a relatively short period of time? Or maybe I should say how your horizons can expand? I view it as a bit of a problem for me -- I like so many different things that it makes it hard to make decisions about projects!

    ReplyDelete