Saturday, November 12, 2022

Plodding about

Last Sunday we drove up to Angus to visit Son and his family. We went for a walk in a wood.

It was pretty. We had it more or less to ourselves. 

The children ploutered about, as children do. 

Son is rather more relaxed than I was as a parent about the possibility of their falling in the water. On this occasion I was fairly relaxed as a granny because I reckoned that it wouldn't be my job to jump in and pull them out if they fell in.  Which they didn't.

There was a bit further on where they could paddle. And they did. (They were wearing wellies.)

Another day we went to the Botanics, which is getting ready for its Christmas light show. 

The girls and I are taking all the children to see this nearer Christmas. 

The weather has been incredibly mild - very global warmingish but also very pleasant indeed. I never particularly like persicaria, but in bulk it does give a good show. Maybe I'll get some. 

These artificial lilies are quite striking. Not sure what the ducks made of them. I assume they'll light up. 


In our garden, this hyacinth thinks it's spring. It's wrong. 


And with no frosts, the cosmos

and the fuchsias and begonias in pots bloom on. I do like fuchsias. 


Today we took a load of books to the Oxfam book shop (and managed only to buy two, so that's a win) and then walked along the river from Stockbridge



past St Bernard's Well



- saying hello to the heron -


and then up into the New Town, round the streets a bit and back down to Stockbridge. 

And in the afternoon I made two Christmas cakes* to add to the two I made the other day. A sticky task, but now done. 

And I'm still making two quilts for the sweet little Unbloggables. Will these be finished by Christmas? Possibly. 

I like to keep busy. Too many things to do! Not enough time!

* Christmas cakes are rich fruit cakes, full of sultanas and raisins and cherries and almonds. They're supposed to be made early, to mature. They keep for ages. 

 

2 comments:

  1. We're finally getting some cold weather (for us)-high 40s and low 30s. I'll take the blue sky that goes along with it! I know the mountains need snow, but I hope it will hold off until the kids are back from their trip across the pass. Those fake lilies are beautiful! We go to our local zoo for a Christmas light show. Christmas cakes, already? I need to figure out what they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - worrying about the potential hazards with the unstoppable grandchildren does raise the blood pressure sometimes! The garden walks look lovely, and paddling (and getting soaked) is a necessary part of childhood. St Bernard's well sounds interesting - was it really a Holy well, or just attached to a St Bernard's church? We're coming into better weather here, but it's still a bit unpredictable - yesterday's children's cricket match had just finished when there were flashes of lightning, and the heavens opened. A deluge! Glad you're getting on with the quilts - do let us see them, once it's safe to do so.

    ReplyDelete