Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Keeping busy

I've at last finished Big Granddaughter's dragon quilt. I started making it ages ago but then got diverted into making a cot quilt for Daughter 2's friend's baby. This type of thing is VERY easy - all you do is choose a big patterned fabric for the middle and then add lots of borders until it's big enough - so, no planning involved, really, and none of that pesky fiddle of getting rows of squares to have corners at the same place as the rows above and below. In this case, Big Granddaughter - who's eleven - chose most of the fabrics from my stash. The exceptions are the purple and violet ones, which I had to buy because I don't really do purple (but this is her current favourite colour) and the dragon fabrics, which I got from the same source as for Medium Granddaughter, who originally requested a dragon quilt.  Big Granddaughter, on seeing that, asked for one too. 

When she was five, she asked for a quilt with "bunnies and hedgehogs" but I made the fatal mistake of including maybe six squares of Peter Rabbit fabric, which she considered, by the time she was ten, were too babyish. How long, I ask myself, will she consider dragons suitable? 

By the time I was quilting her new one she was interested in the quilting itself and, having inspected my various templates, chose which designs she wanted in the different borders and in most cases also the colours of quilting thread. I have only a few darker colours and hadn't used them much, but I'm now a convert - they show up so much better. 

Anyway, what fun, but it's not really my creation. I just did the sewing. I really prefer having more of a free choice, but on the other hand it was really nice that she took an interest in the design. 

On Saturday, Mr L and I did the recce for a walk we're leading (well, he's leading, being the one with the sense of direction; I just follow along) in May. We got the bus to Linlithgow and walked down this path to the river. 

It was a pretty walk, 

though a bit muddy and rooty, which made it quite hard work. 

Then, after a detour into Muiravonside Country Park, we walked back to Linlithgow along the paved canal path, which was much easier. 

According to Mr L's device it was over 6 miles, which was further than I'd walked in a oner since my new hip - and it was fine, which was very good. Also there were various flights of steps, and Mr L's angioplastied heart was also fine, which was even better. Mind you, we were happy to sit down on the bus on the way home... .

And on Sunday we walked in the Botanics with Daughter 1 and family - lots of rhododendrons

of various colours

and some jolly good magnolias also. 

Not to say ten thousand or so daffodils, tossing their heads in spritely dance. 

 

4 comments:

  1. The quilt is beautiful and will be a treasured keepsake for that granddaughter. Her interest in the process may lead to her own quilting some day. My older daughter picked up knitting and then discovered crocheting and still makes many items, although scarves and hats aren't as needed here as they were in much colder New York. Pretty flowers! We have daffodils here too but it's still too early for rhodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you have the next quilting generation there!

    A nice walk, and far better doing the return on the bus. If nothing else you see different things from the height of a bus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The purple looks great and the quilting really good!
    I bet that pale rhodo has a lovely perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that L wanted to help with her quilt! Is she interested in making one of her own yet? It turned out great -- all the colors look so pretty together -- and look at those beautiful stitches!!! Now what? Perhaps a quilt for YOU??? Also - Yay for the hip and heart! Looks like another beautiful walk. XO

    ReplyDelete