Thursday, September 05, 2024

Doing things

My baby boy turned 40 a few days ago. How did that happen? I certainly won't be around to see him turn 80 but I hope to stick around till his 50th, when I'll be 84. We'll see... He was a very sweet child, a bit shy, as he looks here. Now he's a GP, husband and father - and lives at some distance, sadly. However, we're going up to see them on Saturday. 

Life's been very busy (when is it anything else?). We had some lovely weather, and Biggest Granddaughter and I had fun blowing bubbles in the garden. 

Then our American visitors arrived for a few days. 

A few months ago I got an email with the subject title "Hello from your American cousin". It wasn't a name I recognised, so I was intrigued. It turned out to be from Jane (under her married name). She and I share a common ancestor who was born around 1800 - my 4xgreat-grandmother, who is also her 3xgreat-grandmother - so we're not exactly closely related. However, Jane's great-aunt lived in Edinburgh and was my lovely Granny's mother's cousin (are you following this?), and we knew her, and through this connection, various members of my family, including myself in 1970, visited Jane's parents' house in Kent, Ohio between the 50s and early 70s. Jane was 11 at the time of my visit. Jane's mother, grandmother and sister also stayed with my parents, I think in the 60s and 70s. Our mothers kept in touch but there really hadn't been any communication between the families after Jane's mother died in 2006.

However, it was lovely to see Jane and her daughter Chelsea. Chelsea is technically the same generation as me, but she's in her thirties - the generations have slipped somewhat. They were visiting Scotland, and finished with a few days with us in Edinburgh. We did the usual tourist things. On Monday, for example, we went to the Castle in the fog and slight drizzle - not ideal for the views of the city from the Castle walls, but we'd pre-booked our tickets so we went. 

On Tuesday we went to Rosslyn Castle, which is now a tourist destination (and on our Americans' list) thanks to The Da Vinci Code - which I have neither read nor seen. Mr L read the book and declared it to be piffle. However, piffle or not, the book and film have been wonderful for the chapel, which featured in them. Previously, it was leaking so badly - and the Earl and Countess of Rosslyn couldn't raise the money to fix it - that a huge plastic roof was erected above it to keep the rain out, and thus it remained for 14 years. In those days, one could just wander in, say ah, yes, and wander out again. 

But now - the chapel gets so many visitors, who pay to visit, that it's all been fully renovated, including the roof. There's now a very nice visitors' centre, with a cafe and shop and various displays, and you have to buy a timed ticket which includes an excellent talk about the history. Amazing! Good old Dan Brown. 

The inside of the chapel is very, very ornately carved, though no one really knows why. It was begun in 1446 by Sir William St Clair, who planned a cruciform church but only got round to having the choir part built before he died, so it was closed off and remains today as a small church. There is the famous story of the apprentice who carved very fancy spirals on a pillar while the master carver was away researching how to do this, and when the master returned, he was so jealous of the beautiful carving that he killed the apprentice. I don't suppose it's true but it's a good story. The chapel was attacked at the Reformation, but remains mainly intact. 

The outside carvings have suffered with weathering over the past 600 years, but are still interesting. 

We also did other things, such as walking up the river and through the Dean Village. The sun shone that day!

So it was lovely to see them, but I now have Things To Do. 
 

3 comments:

  1. You have had a busy time, but very pleasurable, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to be busy! It sounds like the cousin bond was strengthened by contact and visits; the blood connection might be distant, but that's not all there is to a relationship. Mr. L is right. The DaVinci Code (and much of what Dan Brown writes) is indeed piffle. You notice that I didn't request a visit to that castle although I'm delighted that it's in better repair now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing to have such a long history with distant relations. The DaVinci Code and Dan Brown's other books were a bonding medium with my daughter when she was in school. We read the books and saw the movies together - they were fun, if somewhat piffley.

    ReplyDelete