Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sparkling repartee at a ball

My son, aged 21, is a goodnatured, gentlemanly lad, who is extremely devoted to his girlfriend, a sweet, ladylike girl.

[Scene: last night, medical students' mid-year ball]

Inebriated chap: [exact words not reported, but uncouth chat-up lines directed to Son's Girlfriend]

[Son inserts himself protectively between Girlfriend and Inebriated Chap.]

Inebriated chap: I like that girl.

Son [politely] : I like her too.

Inebriated chap : I don't like you, though.

Son [firmly] : Well, I don't like you much either.

[Son and Girlfriend retreat rapidly, but with dignity, to distant part of room.]



Given time, he might have thought of something wittier, but it seemed to work well enough.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog! A bit of a buzz to get one from the other side of the world!! Will take some time over the weekend to read over your blog. The little bit I've read so far looks entertaining reading:)

    Just had to tell you that my parents were from Scotland and I spent time over there in my long distant youth - then moved onto London. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *chortle*

    I like "retreat rapidly, but with dignity".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought that i would let you know that i was here and that i like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thought that i would let you know that i was here and that i like your blog!

    ReplyDelete