Thursday, August 30, 2018

Family family family


While Daughter 2, Son-in-Law 2 and Littlest Granddaughter were here, life was fairly busy. Obviously I didn't want to waste any of the precious time with my girls, and Littlest was, in the nicest possible way, somewhat distracting.


So cute.

They were all here because actor SIL 2 was up in Edinburgh with his improv group for the month and Daughter 2 is still on maternity leave. Daughter 2 and Littlest were with us, in fact, since July 21, since she came to Crieff with us, and unless she has another maternity leave at the same time, this is never going to happen again, so we really enjoyed it. My nephew was also in Edinburgh for the month - he is now a freelance musician and was performing with various shows. He came down a couple of times, once with his visiting girlfriend, which was lovely. 

However, they all left on Monday or Tuesday, since when we've been rather glum, especially since Daughter 2 is going back to work next week and Littlest will be going to nursery. My friends and I were so lucky being able to stay at home with our children until they were at school, but this generation, in Britain, generally have to go back to work much sooner. Littlest has had some settling in days this week and seems to have been fine, but - big sigh. I wish I could be the one looking after her. Apart from anything else, nursery is SO expensive. 

It was Son's birthday yesterday and we spent the day with him and his daughter, the Unbloggable One, which was cheering. She's two now and chattering away. She insisted that Son jump with her on the trampoline in the park. 



Here are her feet as she takes a little rest. 

And here she is feeding the ducks.

All very lovely, but now we're back in a sadly quiet house. It's tidier than it was with Littlest wrecking it, certainly, so I suppose there are advantages in everything. I haven't touched my latest quilt for weeks and am looking forward to getting back to it. And today Mr L and I went to Register House with one of his cousins to look up our ancestors, which proved to be really quite interesting.

But that's for another day.

5 comments:

  1. It's hard to get back to quiet; I loved being with my family in NY and when I came back to my lonely house, it was tough. My cat had forgotten me and was mean. What special memories you got to make with your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly will be noticing the quiet, and being able to put a drink down on a table without inviting impending disaster, but you will certainly be missing them. Our No. 2 grandchild will start daycare after Christmas when she turns One, and we will have her one day a week, as well as her older brother, who will be nearly four. I'm apprehensive about coping with two of them together, and having to toddler-proof the house and stairs all over again. I'm sure we'll cope, and the joys of watching her grow up will make it all worthwhile.

    I do love hearing about your family. They're wonderful children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great that you got to spend an extended time with your London based family. Our whirlwind of a littlest was here for two consecutive weekends so I know exactly what you mean about the quiet after the hustle and bustle. Will use the time until his next visit to do some serious de-sticking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sounds like you've had a wonderful summer -- where, oh where, did it go. It seems like we were just talking about your trip to Crieff, and now, that's old history. Have fun quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it's all very stop/ start at the moment. We are about to throw ourselves into a birthday party for grand daughter. Not at our house but 18! children. May be ready for the quiet by later today but wouldn't want it to go on for too long. Yes it seems awfully early to be looked after by others all day long in a big group of other unsettled children and babies but it's the norm.

    ReplyDelete