Friday, August 17, 2018

Rushing about


Thank you to those who answered the question about whether they'd like to be young again. I was surprised that only one person would. Interesting. I can quite see that no one would want to relive traumatic events, and I'm lucky not to have had any hugely bad experiences; but all the same, it seems quite sad. My life has been busy and exhausting, but I'd still be happy to relive it - though with some changes. For one thing, I'd be more confident. After seeing fairly ordinary - nay, in some cases, incompetent - people running various organisations, I'd be less inclined to think I wouldn't be capable. 

Anyway, I'm not going to get the chance, so forward we go. We have Daughter 2, actor Son-in-Law 2 and Littlest Granddaughter staying for all of August, which is wonderful - though I'm getting nothing useful done because the baby is intent on wrecking the house - remember that stage? She crawls fast and has absolutely no common sense. But she's lovely and I'm really enjoying this time with her. See above. 


Grandson wanted to go on an outing with all his grandparents - the other set were visiting from down south - so we went to Dalkeith Country Park - lots of wobbling and scrambling, which the other grandmother did more of than I did, being younger and more agile and braver. However, I did more than either grandfather, both of whom were there in the capacity of observer.


Here's the little home-wrecker doing her stuff. During the time she's been here she's got steadier on her feet and earlier today she stood up for several seconds without holding on to anything. Most of the time, however, she pulls herself up by holding on to items of furniture which weren't designed to be stable enough for this. She needs to be watched constantly.


Daughter 2 (and Littlest) and I had a flying visit down to London at the weekend for her to change over the beds between Airbnb visitors to her flat and also have a meet-up with friends.


We spent one afternoon at a soft play centre, which was SO relaxing because we didn't have to keep saving Littlest from self-destruction. We fantasised about adapting our houses along similar lines.


Then we came home again.

And so we get older - I in a bad way and the baby in a good one. It's so odd to realise that I shall never know what happens to her as an adult. I'm now 68 and she's ten months. I might possibly survive till she's 20, I suppose. Extinction is a curious thing to contemplate.

Biggest Granddaughter started school on Wednesday! She was a baby just a moment ago and now she's five!

7 comments:

  1. I'm 62 and have no grandchildren yet, so I think about that a bit too frequently. If I get any, I want them to remember me at least. My girls are 32 and 28 with my parents still alive. What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Started school?? how did that happen so quickly? beautiful pic of you with the baby...and who cares about jobs in the house when you can spend time with a child...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one gorgeous wee baby! And a bit of a look of mischief I think .... I remember the maximum mobility minimum brains age! Terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I don't like doing those sums either. But there's no getting away from it. That's a long train ride for an active child! Was she asleep for much of it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to be morbid or anything but my beloved Nana died when I was 15 and I have masses of brilliant memories of her. Which is not bad considering we lived abroad and I went to boarding school! I think whenever there is love and family you are 'known' and will be remembered so you are well in. Besides I thought your family was full of tough old birds so who's to say 30 isn't do-able??!! Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I think about this aging thing a lot. It's so sad that we didn't know our grandparents as young adults, and that we won't know our grandchildren as such either. I would love to see our grandchildren as young parents - or even as grandparentss themselves. {Sigh.}

    ReplyDelete