Monday, February 11, 2019

Appearance and reality



At Christmas, Mr L's (childless) cousin gave us this gingerbread construction kit, thinking that it would be a fun thing to do with the children on Christmas Day. Somehow - unaccountably - it didn't seem to fit in with the day of feeding 15 people with widely differing nutritional needs and wrangling 7, 5, 2 and 1-year-olds. However, the other day we got round to doing it. I had always assumed that Thimbleanna, who has a family gingerbread-house-making day, had created the whole thing from scratch. Now, having tried this feat using a kit, I realise that this would be taking family togetherness WAY too far.  Suffice to say it didn't end up looking like the example on the packet - and that was with Mr L doing most of the construction and the children mainly adding the sweeties. I think the one on the packet must have been made with concrete and Polyfilla. 


Anyway, the little ones enjoyed it and I'm told it tasted nice too. It went home with them. I had had enough of it by the time it got to this stage... .




On Saturday I took them on the bus to a stage production of "The Cat In The Hat". They like sitting upstairs at the front of buses. I can't say that I'm a great fan of Dr Seuss - you couldn't call his plots exactly intricate and I find his use of language somewhat tedious - but it was well done and the children enjoyed it. It's such fun having them to myself! They were very good.




A few hours ago they left to visit their other grandparents down south but before they did, they were with us, and Grandson drew various road layouts ("I've drawn a traffic light attached to a tree") while Biggest Granddaughter coloured a pirate granny (she said) on to a cut-out shape. I'm not sure why this granny (who isn't me, I'm told) has only one eye (though I suppose this is a bit traditional for pirates - after all she has only one hand and leg) but she does have a fancy necklace (it's not a collar). I also like the heart on her boot.


Blogger now says this (below) on the Dashboard page. I wonder whether the young people who post these messages have the faintest idea how little this means to elderly users like me. It might as well say "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously". This would be just as helpful. Maybe it's important; I hope not. Anyway, we'll see if I ever manage to post again. 

In regard to which - since various commenters were kind enough to say that they'd miss my blog - I've realised that I could continue doing it, while at the same time copying and pasting it on to a Word document for myself with more meaningful pictures of the grandchildren. At least, I think I could, unless the widget thing means anything vital. 

Google+ widgets: Support for the “+1 Button”, “Google+ Followers” and “Google+ Badge” widgets in Layout will no longer be available. All instances of these widgets will be removed from your blog. 

+1 buttons: The +1/G+ buttons and Google+ share links below blog posts and in the navigation bar will be removed. 

Please note that if you have a custom template that includes Google+ features, you may need to update your template. Please contact your template supplier for advice. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh I do enjoy your posts! I'm glad you are going to keep on with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I've been wondering about the significance of that message too. If we disappear in a puff of smoke we'll understand what it meant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:02 pm

    I should be very sad if you disappeared.

    I have a new laptop and have been tring to download/upload (what is the difference?) things to it from my old one but the instructions look much as those you have posted above so - I shall remain in limbo for some time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do enjoy your grandkids. I've always rather pictured you as a pirar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the slices of life that you let us share and am happy that you will continue. Does that really say EASY on that gingerbread house kit? When my girls were in 4th grade, they had a house making project for which the parents had to make and cut out the gingerbread pieces. It was a nightmare. I did extra for those kids whose parents wouldn't bother with it. Trying to keep the sides from falling while under construction down was challenging and frustrating. I think yours looks beautiful; I'm impressed! Are we the only ones who don't enjoy Dr. Seuss? I successfully avoided reading any of his books to my kids since I found the nonsense language annoying. Gracious, that note from Google means nothing to me either. Apparently I need Blogging For Dummies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Falling down--oops

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so lucky to live close enough to those children to spend lots of time in their company, and they in yours. I love pirate granny's details, especially the hook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those messages from google they sound menacing. I'm taking the stance of sticking my fingers in my ears, singing lalalalala and hoping to keep doing what I occasionally do without having the blogger police track me down....

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you haven't been using Google+, and it sounds like you haven't, then you have nothing to worry about. Google+ was Google's rival to Facebook, but it never took off so they are phasing it out. No worries. Nothing else about Google or gmail is changing. I'm glad you will keep blogging. I enjoy the slices of life you share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like besomom has you covered with the blogger messages -- nothing to worry about! As for the gingerbread houses -- the grandchildren did a beautiful job! And just to be clear -- for our crew, it's just as if they buy a kit because I spend a day before our actual decorating day making all the gingerbread. On occasion, I get SweetiePie or someone to help me 'cause it's so much work, but like you said, for all of us to participate in that part of it would put me over the edge LOL. Love the pirate Granny -- those littles are just toooo cute!

    ReplyDelete