Thursday, July 02, 2020

Looser lockdown week 15 - House and garden

This morning we were down at Daughter 2's Edinburgh flat again, having her oven cleaned - why anyone would want to clean ovens for a living, who knows? but hurray for them. (In fact it's quite a good living, that's why. He earns much, much per hour than I did as a teacher. But I'd still rather be a teacher.) And Mr L reassembled the dining table that the tenants disassembled - this has required much more skill than it sounds, since it was in lots of bits, with no instructions as to how these went together - it has a fold-out leaf and complicated legs. He's been working on the base for some days at home. Anyway, now it's a table again. And he hung the last lot of new curtains. Hurray for him too. I, meanwhile, faffed about arranging bedspreads and cushions (from our house) on beds and plants and ornaments (from our house) on shelves. Much more fun. 


And then we came home and these little people were here, having arrived before us (with their dad).


Biggest Granddaughter and I went to the reopened playpark.


"This is the adventurous life I like," she said. (Those are her legs. She's really quite high up. I'm glad she could get down because I would have had difficulty rescuing her.)


Big Grandson was too busy with his Brio to come with us. Each to his/her own. He doesn't seek the adventurous life. Me neither.

From tomorrow, we're officially allowed to cuddle them!! Sadly, though they're still not allowed into our house apart from to visit the bathroom.

We can now go into a pub, a shop or a restaurant; we will soon be able to go to the hairdresser... but the family still can't come into the house for a socially-distanced visit. Can't quite see the logic... .

(Daughter 1 points out that it's in England that people can go into pubs at the moment, not here. Not being a great pub-goer, I wasn't paying enough attention to the differences between England and Scotland. But we can go into shops.)

6 comments:

  1. That doesn't sound logical except that the shops, pubs and hair salons are supposed to have installed safety protocols. (whereas in a house that isn't possible?) I still don't think that covid is a risk on surfaces. If you can hug them, I don't see why they can't be in your house. Good job on your re-opening. We have blown ours so we may be booted back to Phase 1. (where I've mostly stayed anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even for very high pay I would not like to clean ovens for a living! I see your granddaughter really does like the adventurous life. I am glad your restrictions are loosening. Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pubs and restaurants don't open till July 15, Mum. They will open a bit sooner in England - maybe that's what you heard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- your Brio accessories are amazing -- I've never seen some of them. I'd like to add to our set, but the girls don't seem much interested. I've never thought the restrictions have made much sense -- and I really don't get the people outside or the only person in their car wearing masks. ??? Ah well -- I'll be glad when it's all over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:11 pm

    I won't be going to any pubs in the near future but my hairdresser is coming in a couple of weeks and I am quite excited about that.

    How lovely to see the exuberance of your grand daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Pam, you will never know how much I enjoy my virtual visits to your home, garden, toys, children, flowers, family. At 83.75 years old, I miss family and family clutter so much. Thank you for sharing!!! And, love the walks "we" take: you, Mr. L, and I. So much beauty in your part of the world. Thank you for taking your readers along.

    ReplyDelete