Sunday, August 02, 2020

This is week 19 - Friday to Sunday - lovely grandchildren


Daughter 1 and SIL 1 took the children down to see SIL's parents on Saturday, so we had the children on Friday and for the night, to allow their parents to get organised. It was a hot day and they played in the paddling pool and the garden.




And of course Big Grandson made a Brio layout. Meanwhile I sat looking at the crossword in the newspaper - most days, Mr L and I do two cryptic ones as a joint effort, mainly (but by no means always) solving them.

Me [mumbling to myself as I read a clue]: "Presumably he knows when to draw the line".
Big Grandson [instantly, from the other side of the room]: Ruler?
Me: Oh. Yes.
BG: Try me on another one.
Me: "Scour men's organisation for users of articles". That probably means it's an anagram of "scour men's".
BG [instantly]: Consumers?
(Yes.)

I think it was largely beginner's luck but still - quite good for a newly-nine-year-old.

Then they left after lunch on Saturday and a couple of hours later...


Daughter 2 and Littlest Granddaughter arrived from London. Littlest enjoyed playing with the Brio too.


This morning we went to Saughton Park, played in the playpark and walked among the flowers. 


And in the afternoon we played in the garden. Littlest is rather good with a ball.


This is a big heavy basketball and she can throw it quite high!

5 comments:

  1. I love your grandchildren's outfits, and am delighted that you got lots of granny time with all of them! I know how much you've missed them. I'm aching to hold my little guy in my arms again, but he's now 2,840 miles away. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed by the crossword supremo... I used to do the Telegraph crossword with my dad and he showed me how to tell if an anagram was being flagged up. May I offer my own boast? When staying in Paris with family friends as a young teen, we were watching a TV quiz programme with a conundrum which I instantly ‘saw’ was Royaume Unis. It wasn’t met with the cries of amazement that I felt were my due.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do crosswords as I value my sanity so am amazed at he cleverness and quick thinking of your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we always knew how bright oldest Grandson is, but that crossword puts him over the top -- it would have taken me a long time to come up with those answers! And Hooray! Smallest granddaughter has arrived! Is the festival going on this year in spite of the virus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, the Festival was cancelled ages ago. First time since 1947!

      Delete