Saturday, October 24, 2020

Autumn autumn autumn in virusy times

At last the landscapers came and finished the job. Hurray! This was the hedge in August - a twenty-plus-foot long, five-foot wide collection of lilac and random other things, taking up a big space in my not-big garden. 




And here is the space now, taken from a rather different angle, but you get the idea.  It's a bit bare at the moment; give me time. I restrained myself from getting them to leave a big flower bed in front of the new fence because the rest of the garden is actually quite high-maintenance for a little plot (entirely through my own fault) and at my advancing age I don't want to add to the work. They've left enough space in front of it for some spring bulbs and bedding plants. And I might squeak in a small lilac because I do love the scent and I won't be around by the time it gets inconveniently big. 



Ah, autumn. We went to the Botanics today and I took pictures of Ravelston Dykes from the car because it's so pretty at the moment. 


It comes round every year but still makes the heart leap. 

And so does the Botanics. 

There are worse places than Edinburgh to be semi-locked-down - and at least the Botanics are open, unlike in the first strict lock-down phase. 


At last this year I've managed to get a few nerines to flower in the garden, unlike here, where there are lots. Give me a year or two... Maybe in front of that new fence? 

And there are still some dahlias flowering at the Botanics, 

and lilies

and this beautiful acer (I think)

and these pink tasselled things, which are still putting on a show. I can never remember what they're called. 

It still feels as if we're all putting in time, waiting for improvement, but it could all be a lot worse.

I need to start another quilt. 

7 comments:

  1. The new fence and ready lawn looks so pristine and what a large space. Some lovely flowers, and trees in this and the last post. Really good borders of pink nerines. I find them far harder to get to do well than the red variety.
    Stay safe and be glad we have cameras and the internet.( I doubt we will ever meet up again so I am pleased to see your happenings from afar )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard/lawn looks beautiful and much more spacious! I love the autumn colors and wish I could be sharing a walk around the Botanics with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persicaria. I can never remember it either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had enormous difficulty remembering Nostradamus yesterday. My brain offered Copernicus and Nicodemus which was a brave effort I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, persicaria. They're not my favourite but on the other hand they're nice and bright at this time of year. I'm impressed that you were even attempting to remember Nostradamus.

      Delete
  5. I chuckled when I read "There are worse places than Edinburgh to be semi-locked-down" and then raised my hand. You have so many wonderful options for walking -- we just have boring old suburban neighborhoods. We did walk one day over to TheFirstChild's house which added the opportunity to walk past a shopping center and over a freeway, but it's 5 miles one way and took about 3 hours, so not a great choice. He'll be moving closer to us in a few months though, so maybe we'll walk over more. Just two miles away, but boring neighborhoods along the way. I'd LOVE to have your beautiful walks about now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all need to start a new something very colourful to get through this winter, I think! I am amzed at the new fence and know not what to say. Here's to keeping up keep simpler. Prince Charming cut away all the (hugely prolific) pretty growth around the front door and found that it had grown up through into our eaves, and this in turn explains (we hope) where our furry attic squatters could be getting in. So far I haven't much minded their squatting, though I would have been afraid of them branching out from the attic, had I any more room on my worry plate. These are worrysome times. I have nothing to contribute.

    ReplyDelete