Thursday, January 14, 2021

Virus virus virus virus


This week has featured quite a lot of home-schooling at the Edinburgh grandchildren's house, which is permitted in the category of caring - which this is. Daughter 1 has cut her hours down a bit, which helps, and while she's working, Son-in-Law 1 and I supervise the children's work. This - compared to teaching whole classes, preparing work and marking it - is very easy. The children are on the whole compliant and cheerful and are pretty bright and I love them. So it's fine. The grid method that Big Grandson has been taught to do long multiplication is (to my thinking) fiendishly complicated, takes at least five minutes longer per sum than the method we used and is vulnerable to lots more errors because of the various different stages he has to go through - but he seems to be able to do it so I'm resisting the temptation just to say to him - come on, let me show you this much easier method. (So far.) And that's really the only problem we've come across (teaching Granny how to do it). 

After school we go to the park. 


This is the better of the two nearby parks because there aren't usually any dogs. Big Grandson is very dog-phobic. I'm not really a dog person myself. I mean, I'm sure they're lovely, and great companions and all that, but there are an awful lot of them around Edinburgh - far more than when I was young - and while many people pick up their dogs' mess, by no means all do. But it's really Big Grandson's reaction to dogs - perfectly friendly though I'm sure most of them are - that makes parks difficult. He is irrationally - but genuinely - terrified of them. In my ideal world, there would be at least some parks from which dogs were banned. And beaches. 

I realise that some people feel the same about children... .

On the other hand, he likes standing on railway bridges. 


Today was somewhat wet but we went out anyway - to the other park. This was a brief dog-free moment. 

As was this. 

Meanwhile, the Covid news gets worse and worse. There seems to be yet another strain, in South America, with the result that no one is allowed into Britain from there, or Portugal, or various other related countries. In Edinburgh - indeed in Scotland - it's not very good but a lot better than many areas of England, including London, where Daughter 2 and her husband and family live. How I wish they didn't. 

I begin to wonder whether this will ever get better. Will we see Daughter 2 and Son and their little ones  at all this year? Will there be a new virus every few years now, so that we see them briefly and then it's all swept away again? I think I've always felt - as the daughter and granddaughter of people who went through world wars - that life was too easy for us and we were possibly due a spanner in our complacent works. I suppose this is it. 

So, yes. Not feeling particularly jolly this evening. And you? 
 

12 comments:

  1. Not jolly at all. My son-in-law just started a new 4 month contract job and Ashley goes back (on-line) to teaching and they have no friends or family in NY to help. They're trying to figure out child care, which is terrifying during a pandemic. I wish I could be back there and feel helpless and angry. I know that they're trying to teach students the process in math, but I'm much more intuitive and all those steps would drive me nuts. Glad you get to spend time together! Has Grandson had a bad experience with a dog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the Dog Problem - it is a very real and overwhelming fear for some children (and adults).

    I can't let myself despair at the state of the Civid tragedy, for it is indeed a tragedy, but I do get angry that so many short-sighted, self-interested decisions have been made by people in power. Over here there is talk of the need to build a facility especially with the next outbreak in mind, because they are saying there will be another virus of some type in the future.

    On the maths front, I can't help with the multiplication question, but I know that over here they teach the children about three ways to get to the answer, so the children understand the mechanism of multiplying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum - I would not worry too much about the new variants. Scientists are confident that the vaccines will still work on the variants. From the BBC website:

    "Even in the worst case scenario, the vaccines could be redesigned and tweaked to be a better match - in a matter or weeks or months, if necessary, say experts."

    So they aren't starting from zero every time. I know it's very worrying but not hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been virtual schooling with my 6 yr old GS since August as both parents have high pressure jobs and schools here have not been open since March. Not easy. Commiserating with you on the different ways maths skills are taught. It seems to be the one area of curriculum that changes quite a bit each year or two--at least in the US. I remember when my four (with a 9 year age range) were in school, no two of them were taught maths in the same manner. Drove me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister was terrified of dogs as a small child - to my brother's grief as he longed for one. However, she went on as an adult to be a very successful breeder of cocker spaniels, so things may change. Duaghter is currently grappling with granddaughter's different ways in maths - very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is easy (and almost tempting) to get gloomy about things. But, but but.......there is a vaccine - and there are, sadly, no vaccines against war. And the contribution to the "war effort" being asked of us is to stay home and watch too much TV. (Or quilt a lot, if you are more sensible and creative). Missing the personal contact is difficult but I would prefer my loved ones tucked up in their homes than conscripted to fight overseas. If this is our world war moment, then I will take it in a heartbeat over what our grandparents had to deal with. And now, off to see what nonsense Netflix has to offer for the evening as it is Friday and not a school night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course you're right. But it's still sad.

      Delete
  7. I’m finding the homeschooling pretty difficult. There seems to be an awful lot of assignments, poorly presented on screen with too many links and outside references. There is a heavy reliance on gimmicky cartoon characters and I’m not that impressed with BBC Bitesize. I’m sure the teachers are much better in class but in a medium foreign to them, they are expressionless and can’t of course engage, in pre-recorded sessions. I’m worried that if we don’t cover something a vital step might be missed but on the whole the progress seems to be glacial and repetitive. At least when I cover the work with her at my house there is no distraction from little brother so in many respects it must be a lot better than in many households. I fear the learning gap must be growing worryingly large.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came back to bed after lunch with my books and my laptop. First I had a little cry and then a little sleep and now I am escaping in said books and laptop. I have no intention o going back downstairs until our own homeschooling starts again tomorrow. It's a pathetic attempt to hide from the world. But it's working thus far.

    We also have dog reticence. I don't let my children jump up over people as I proclaim, "It's all right; he won't touch you." There should definitely be dog and children free parks and beaches respectively!

    Courage to us all x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, I wish I could cheer you up Pam! I too worry that this will go on forever -- will we ever be able to travel again??? I know that's the least of the worries, but still. This will certainly change our way of life -- even when the virus is over, I think many people will still work from home. Will people ever hug again as a greeting? I'll be happy if shaking hands goes away, I never liked that greeting, but I did like the occasional hug with people you are fond of.

    As for math, it amazes me the complicated methods that they can come up with to teach something that is seemingly, well, not simple, but not as bad as all those grids make it. I tried to help tutor some 10 year olds a few years ago and all the grids they had to draw just to do some simple multiplication was astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Pam. You have given me something to think about. I had not (yet) thought about ongoing pandemics that would shut the world down in waves again (and again)! That IS a dreary thought... but it fuels my idea that all these corporations that have shipped production of products out of our own countries have made a grave mistake. Never mind our simple luxury of travel, which would be a sad loss. For several years now I have lamented the loss of jobs to overseas contries, and this pandemic has highlighted what an economic loss it can be! Maybe we can get some of our manufacturing jobs back and not have to wait months for some item because illness has shut down production AND shipping.
    And in response to another of your posts... THANK GOD we will have a new administration in our government tomorrow!!! We were traveling in the UK in 2016 and were often asked if we were going to vote for Trump - to which we vehemently replied NOOOOO. And that we chose to travel before he might be elected in case the world went South if he were. I had no idea how far out of whack the world would go, but my fear was a world war... is that what this is????
    Here in my location (the High Plains of the Midwest US) we do not have the lockdowns like you have. We are in a larger city so somewhat more at risk, but for the most part this area is much less populated. Schools are still open as are most businesses - yes, even restaurants, but with space and occupancy restrictions. Our State does not even have a mask mandate, but our City does. Still, I only do my grocery shopping in person, and then sometimes order online with curbside pick-up. And "eating out" is carry-out for us as well. We still have 3 months of winter here when it is too cold to sit outdoors at cafe tables. I am really starting to miss going out and about. Since I just moved here about 6 months before Covid shut everything down, I had not had the chance to make friends and now that we are shut in, no chance for that! I do see my son and d-i-l and three grandchildren and have the kids as their carer sometimes. But unless there is an exposure at their daycare, one of them has a fever, or the weather is too bad to take babies out on the highway (snow with wind) I don't have them every day. Except the kindergartener. I have him every day after school.
    And such is our new life. I need to start a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This pandemic stinks. Most of the time I cope okay, but I have my moments of near panic when I feel like it will never end. It will end eventually. But I also worry about new pandemics. I understand your anguish.

    I was very afraid of dogs when I was a child after a neighbor's dog chased me and bit me on the arm. He was playing, not attacking, but I was small and it terrified me. I was afraid for years, until my mom brought home a puppy for the family.

    ReplyDelete