Thursday, October 12, 2023

Sorting out

Goodness gracious, how is the world, or at least selected parts of the world, still at war in this day and age? It's scarcely believable: with all our so-called civilisation, some people are still behaving as if they were in Tudor times - kidnapping and killing one another in their quest for power. The minority, I'm sure, but their actions are so devastating.

It's all too sad and unfathomable. A lot of sorting out is needed. 

I'm making a cot quilt for one of Daughter 2's friends. She wants yellows and ochres, and not too much in the way of patterned fabric. Can't say ochre is my thing, or at least not the browny side of ochre, so I'm interpreting this as yellow with a bit of (reluctant) orange, and a few sneaked-in patterns. There are going to be quite a lot of solidish colours too. It's such fun, playing with fabric.




We went up on Saturday to visit Son and his little ones and had a lovely time. 

Back at the quilt assembly, I did this again! 

Talk about a slow learner... Even that attempt wasn't quite right because I then noticed that the top left hand square was a different way round from the other similar ones. It's now sorted! 

It's been quite wet here, which has shown us that the new skylights we've had put in the kitchen are not entirely satisfactory. One is fine. The other leaks. They were put in three weeks ago and since then, the chaps have been back five times to try to find where the water is getting in. The last time - at least, we're hoping it's the last time - was yesterday. It hasn't rained since, so it's impossible to tell whether it's worked at last. "I'm 95% certain that's it now," said the chap. So far, we've had Lee, Lee's three laddies who actually did the initial work, Lee's dad and then yesterday Lee's brother trying to sort it out. Sigh.

The garden has been neglected because we were away and then it rained, but I did a bit of autumn cutting-down today. I'm going to get a hip replacement operation on Tuesday (argh), after which I'm not allowed to garden for 12 weeks, so... it's just as well that it's going to be winter. Mr L is having an angiogram and possible stent on Monday - it's all go from the NHS for us. I suppose we must be getting old. Funny how soon that happens. We were young and vigorous the other month... or at least year. Still, let the NHS sort us out and then we'll be leaping around again. Let's hope.
 

6 comments:

  1. Oh Goodness, you are both going for the 'Big Time" Ops, aren't you. I hope you are one of the 99% who make fabulous recoveries from hip surgery and a so pleased they finally had it done. And My L, getting that heart working will make him feel mush better too. Best wishes for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you both well with your operations and a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes making something beautiful helps distract us from the ugliness of world events. I don't understand wars either, except that they often revolve around religion and territory (power). Hope the leak is fixed; I so hate water getting in or out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I didn't realize the hip was sneaking up on you so soon -- must read on and see how you got on. Your star looks beautiful -- can't wait to see the quilt. Pity about climbing around the garden for 12 weeks, but I'm guessing that quilting is still on the table!

    ReplyDelete