Thursday, December 14, 2023

Past and present

Daughter 2 sent me this photo the other day, which made me reflect about memory and the way it retains and discards things. As you can see, this is a small plastic skeleton, and I got it in a cracker at the Royal Scots Club when I was probably about ten, so about 63 years ago. I remembered this, but not giving it to Daughter 2 (not really sure why this happened). My grandfather fought with the Royal Scots during World War 1, and used to go up to the club to play snooker with friends; and for a few years he used to take us there for Christmas dinner. All that, I remembered. But I'd forgotten until the daughters reminded me that before opening the cracker I'd said something along the lines of wondering what was in it - maybe a skeleton? And then... ta da... there it was. I have no idea why I said this - it's hardly a typical cracker gift - and also have no idea why I forgot this part of the story. It would be more interesting if I could claim psychic powers from then on, but sadly, no. 

This is not a skeleton. It's a needle, and the best thing that happened this week is that I came to the end of daily injecting myself in the stomach with blood-thinners. Hooray. Not my favourite part of getting a hip replacement. 

The house is now looking fairly festive. 



Ho ho.

I would not claim to be completely ready for Christmas, however. 

The weather in Edinburgh has been very wet recently, so it was lovely to drive to the south-west today and find sunshine. 

Sadly, we were on the way to the funeral of one Mr L's cousins, but as often happens at funerals, we had a nice time chatting to various family members at the lunch afterwards. 

Some of them were cousins on the other side - the deceased cousin was the son of Mr L's uncle, while these cousins are related to the uncle's wife. They were very pleasant and it was quite a jolly event. But one always feels slightly guilty that the main player in the occasion isn't there to enjoy it. 

Having no cousins myself, I'm always happy to meet up with other people's. Mr L had eight of them, though sadly he now has only five. But we're in contact with them all, which I like. My family was very small - parents, one brother, a granny and grandpa who lived nearby, two childless aunts who lived far away and one widowed granny who also lived far away. I would have liked (so I tell myself) to have had more siblings and a gang of congenial cousins round the corner. Not going to happen now, though. 

 

5 comments:

  1. My maternal cousins vary from very nice to crazy and my paternal ones (the Grieves) are great but live far enough away that we don't see them much. (weddings and funerals) Your house looks beautiful and festive! How is your hip healing up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funerals are strange occasions, with the guest of honour being absent. 'Traditional ' families, with everyone living nearby, are rare these days, I think. My eldest daughter has all her family living nearby and the cousins all get together and are growing up together. I had one Canadian cousin, though I never met her, and one grandmother I met once. It would have been nice to have more relatives - I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That needle that you don't need any more - please dispose of it carefully and DO NOT leave it on the couch. Also, you have some nice American cousins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had a fresh needle for every day of 34, so no sofa is safe. But they're in a nice box, which is about to go to be incinerated by the pharmacist. I do have nice American cousins, but they aren't first cousins and they weren't part of the picnicking, tree-climbing childhood that I'm envisaging.

      Delete
  4. Hello Pam! I'm catching up on your blog again... Nice to see your recovery is moving along and I hope you continue to do well! I did have the kind of childhood with close extended family and so far, I have lost only one of my cousins... but alas, once we were out of the choldhood years, we all flew to the 4 winds and live quite distant from each other. As mentioned above, we only get together now for weddings and funerals. And I missed a wedding this Holiday season as it was just too tricky to manage such a long trip (WHO gets married on New Year's Eve???) Blessings to you and yours this New Year!

    ReplyDelete