Wednesday, March 13, 2024

The young and the old





Talking of dementia - the day after my last post about my choir friend who's been diagnosed, I sat down in the dentist's chair, swung my feet up and noticed that I was wearing odd shoes - both black and flat, but from two different pairs. Then I went home again and Mr Life pointed out that I'd buttoned my shirt up wrongly - one too many buttons at the top, one too few at the bottom. Hmm!



I remember this stage so well with our own children: when they know things and can do things that we didn't and couldn't. And it's so interesting and heart-warming. These are cereal packets that Big Grandson designed in some class (Craft, Design and Technology?) at school. I couldn't do this on the computer if my life depended on it. The flavours, by the way, are: Classic Oat & Wheat, Chocolate Chunks, Lemon and Lime, Canadian Maple Syrup and Blueberry. I like his wording as well as his pictures (though I am his granny). 

Of course, the next stage is that they become so competent that they grow up and move away... .

Biggest Granddaughter is now 11. She's at that grown-up-in-some-ways stage. For her birthday cake, she requested that Daughter 1 make a sophisticated unicorn. Sophisticated, she decided, meant in this case black. She and her friend went ice-skating at the rink near us "and then we're coming here for pizza and ice cream, Granny". What, my house? Oh, ok. So they did and it was lovely! 

Littlest Granddaughter took pictures of her gap and her very wobbly tooth with her mum's phone. 

I'm sitting here listening to Rheinberger's Mass in D, opus 194, which we're singing at one of my choirs. I'd never heard of Rheinberger until a couple of years ago, when we did something else of his (can't now remember what...) but he's wonderful and should be better known. 

So yes, nothing's really happened, though I'm nearly at the end of Biggest Granddaughter's second quilt. I made the mistake of including a few bits of Peter Rabbit fabric in the one I made for her when she was 5 and wanted "bunnies and hedgehogs" and now it's too babyish. Ooops. She requested a dragon quilt like the one I made Middle Granddaughter, though I'm dubious that she's going to want that when she's older. Ah well, I can make a third... if I'm spared... .


 

9 comments:

  1. Great cereal designs. The tooth-losing stage fascinates children and the new teeth often look so big in their little mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would eat any of those cereals except lemon lime. I've buttoned clothes up wrong and worn different sets of shoes in my 40s, so no worries for you. Whoa, look at that wobbly tooth. One little twist...
    The quilt will be very popular for however long! It's wonderful that your quilts are requested by the grands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you'll find you know one of Rheinberger's more famous pieces - the polka from Svanda the Bagpiper:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyXkTHjPVbo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, o big brother, I do. Never took in the composer's name.

      Delete
  4. Sorry I laughed! ( at your shoes and buttons )Did you point it out to the dentist or just shut up and silently admonish your self.
    If you really had dementia I certainly wouldn't laugh.
    Hugs from NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Giggle, giggle" ... I've not done either of those things, but I have only put in one earring. I don't think mismatched shoes is an age thing - I recall being at the Communion rail and noticing the curate had one brown and one black shoe on... equally worn and comfortable, and when he got dressed in the very early light, difficult to notice the mismatch.

    Your granddaughter wanting to bring her friends to your place for her birthday is a HUGE compliment, she trusts you and is proud of you. Well done. I hope there wasn't too much pizza on the carpet afterward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hasten to reassure you that it wasn't a huge party! Just one additional friend (two were meant to come but one was indisposed). No pizza got on the carpet. We did not entirely intend for Big Granddaughter to invite herself and pals to Granny's but we were very grateful for the hosting duties and it all did go well!

      Delete
  6. Yours sounds like a simply lovely week of family and enjoyable diversions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have my sympathies in the dressing department -- I do that sort of thing all the time -- went to work once with one navy shoe and one black shoe. ;-(

    I love hearing about the children -- they're so clever. I wish use of graphic tools (and tech in general) came as easy to us as it does to them. Your photo of littlest grandaughter with all the photos made me laugh -- more than once I've found repeated pictures of the same thing because one of the granddaughters has snuck (is that a word?) off with my phone. And I LOVE reading that oldest granddaughter wanted to party at your house!

    (And YAY! You can make oldest another quilt LOL! Can't wait to see the dragon quilt!)

    ReplyDelete