Wednesday, December 01, 2010

A very very very sad post

This is a post that I publish most reluctantly, because I don't want to fall further in the affections of one of my most admired bloggers: Fran of Being Me. She said that I was one of her least favourite people. Sob. My shortcoming? Being the beneficiary of two days - Monday and Tuesday - when the college was closed because of the snow.

Sigh. Alas, alack, eheu, o me miserum, quel dommage and similar expressions of sorrow. Because... well, we did go in today - that's the good news, Fran. I had a grand total of two students in my first, two-hour class. The corridors echoed as the few hardy, keen students squelched to classes, their jeans flapping soddenly around their ankles, their boots leaving a trail of little lumps of compressed snow - Hansel and Gretel, the Arctic version. And then the longed-for email came: the college is closed till Monday. I am doomed as far as Fran's opinion of me goes.

Sniff.

Or, to put it another way, HURRAY!!!!

I did suffer a bit, though, Fran. I trudged a mile and a bit to the supermarket through - I'm not exaggerating - slush that came up to the tops of my wellies. I then overestimated the amount of shopping that I could carry through more slush to the bus stop. Still, it's amazing how you find that little extra bit of strength when the alternative is putting your canvas Tesco bag down in ten inches of khaki goo.

While at Tesco, I bought a hat. See above. I did this because I don't possess such a thing, the reason being that I've never needed one in recent decades. Persiflage asked if it's true if the British, when snow falls, always react as if it's a great surprise, and the answer is yes, sort of. Because we really get very little snow - or at least we did before global warming set in (there's a misnomer for you...). Councils can't have huge workforces just sitting around in snowploughs waiting for the two days of slight sleet that we tend to get. So it's not surprising that they get into a bit of a stooshie when something unprecedented like the current weather hits us. I have never seen snow so deep.


I haven't actually worn the hat yet, but I'm confident that it'll make me almost indistinguishable from the gnome line-up of two posts ago.

Sorry, Fran. As I sit drinking coffee and reading Kate Atkinson tomorrow, I'll spare you a thought. Is that ok? Do you like me again now?

17 comments:

  1. Snow days are the best - do enjoy your snuggle days at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should maybe have K over and break out the knitting in this sort of weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you must be getting all of OUR snow - i haven't had to shovel even once this season ... there ... i said it out loud and now the blizzards will begin - shudder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which Kate Atkinson are you reading? I just finished Started Early, Took My Dog, and am re-reading it to take better note of all the clues and information I missed on my first and much too fast reading.
    I don't envy you having to lug all the groceries home through the snow. The time off sounds great. I am envious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MONDAY???? Ooohhhhh, the pain! You Lucky, Lucky Girl! I'm so excited for you. I hope you have a wonderful, unplanned break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:26 am

    Here in North Carolina, we average about 7 inches of snow per year. In 2000, we had the snow of the century and woke to 24 inches of snow overnight, plus some very much deeper drifts. Lots of babies were born 9 months later, including our youngest...hmm. But,we all panic when snow is in the forecast. We byu bread and milk in very large quantities, even though most of the time the snow is non-existent or only keeps us off the road a few hours. But apparently, bread and milk are vastly important. And sometimes we panic and call off school even before any such snow appears, meaning we can have a snow day where there is no snow. That happened to us last year, several times, the result of which we had to make up those snow days during what should have been spring break. Now THERE is a sad story. Spring term is so very long, with only spring break to offer some respite..and it was cut 2 days last year because of snow that mostly never existed. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deepest sympathy for your plight.
    But at least you've got a nice new hat.
    Right?

    Doesn't scan sorry but been awake since 5am waiting for next bulletin in 'where to land in England if you're flying in from Japan saga.'

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always get a couple of storm days here in the winter. Nothing is better than waking up to a blizzard on a school day! It's less exciting now that I'm retired. Enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frab can have my snow if she's feeling deprived - though I expect she's got some of her own by now! I would enjoy being snowed in if I wasn't worrying about if it will clear in time for the one day I have to get out of here - never satisfied me,I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not jealous....much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice hat. I shall have to examine the cable pattern when I next see you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you are one of my MOST favourite people! I arranged the snow specially as I've been trying to get you to sit around reading Kate Atkinson for years! Love and hugs, D2 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's odd... why does it think that's my name? B xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am delighted for your days off! I hope you continue to be safe and have fun baking or knitting or reading or sleeping or...anything but shoveling! :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooooh! It's the Isle of Skye gnome again! (heh heh)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We still have a THIMBLEFUL of snow and no sign of a day off, or even an hour off, or even a minute off, or even a ..... Of course I forgive you, Isabelle. But the teeth are gritted (even if the roads aren't).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I understand why you posted that plaintive comment on my blog, about the Show photos looking 'warm'...I see what you mean!

    ReplyDelete