Saturday, September 21, 2013

Something old, something new...


My mother-in-law died in 1991, sadly. When we were clearing her house, we found this dress. It had been made by someone in our church who was good with her hands and was very into smocking at that time. Presumably my mother-in-law had bought it and was keeping it to give to someone as a baby gift, but we didn't know if she had anyone specific in mind. So I kept it, intending to give it as a baby gift in due course. At that stage, our children were 11, 10 and 7 and most of my friends had also completed their families, so the years passed and the dress remained in a drawer. Occasionally babies would be born among our friends and acquaintances but I never felt sure that the new mum would appreciate a dress that would need some careful laundering.

So when Granddaughter was born, I mentioned the dress to Daughter 1 and she was keen to have it.

MIL, of course, never saw her grandchildren grow up and certainly never met her great-grandchildren. I wish I could show her Granddaughter in the dress. I have, however, just sent the photo above to its maker, whom I still know.


Son came down for the day today, which was lovely. He read various stories to Grandson, including this one, from a book which is also 30 years old. Doesn't Grandson look comfortable?

Never throw anything away! (I don't mean this... .)

11 comments:

  1. Granddaughter looks lovely in her new dress, it suits her perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent advice Isabelle LOL! Little granddaughter looks so sweet in the smocked dress -- I love smocking and I'm hoping to someday have a little girl in the family that can wear some smocked dresses. ;-D

    And I LOVE the picture of son and grandson -- grandson looks happy as a clam in sons arms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stretched the photo too see the smocking more clearly. What fine work. I wonder who smocks now? My grandmother and mother did, although as my mother had seven children she had little time for such handicrafts,, but the school we had compulsory needlework classes, and had to learn to smock. Oh what a bother it was, drawing up all those threads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just bought a smocked dress for our granddaughter - not a skill I've ever mastered. How lovely that your little dress has at last found a wearer, she looks very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks gorgeous in her lovely e new dress! Yes what a pity you can't send MIL the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks gorgeous in her lovely e new dress! Yes what a pity you can't send MIL the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely dress on a beautiful little girl! I'm sure the woman who made it (I think not that many men are doing smocking!) loved seeing this photo. I wore smocked dresses when little, ones my mother made, but my daughters had only Polly Flinders dresses, though they were supposed to be hand work.

    And I really love seeing the picture of your son and grandson so engrossed in their book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cutie, the dress suits her perfectly! I learned how to smock when I was about ten ... and have never used it again. Maybe smocking is due for a revival?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress looks so lovely on Granddaughter! I also love that Grandson looks as if he is feeling well. :) I waver... to throw away or will I need it someday? ;) Perhaps I should take your advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grandchildren are gorgeous, and the dress is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That comment was on behalf of my mother who is racing your blog on her new iPad

    ReplyDelete