Monday, September 07, 2015

Anna returns


So the lovely Thimbleanna came to visit us from the Midwest again. We first met when she and her husband came to look after our cats (yes, I know... it's a long way from there to Edinburgh but our cats were pretty special) a few years ago. And because she's very perceptive and appreciates the wonder that is Scotland, she later returned with her daughter-in-law to indoctrinate her into all things Scottish (well, and Londonish). If you follow Anna's blog (which doesn't seem to be working at the moment for some reason) you'll know that she's a whizz at sewing, knitting, cooking, wall-building and so on. And she is also a really nice person. We went to the Botanics...



 ... here she is at my beloved herbaceous border...


... and the Kelpies, which are bigger than they look here balanced on our heads. I'm hoping it was the brisk wind, billowing through my loose blouse, that makes me look quite so pregnant. And short.


Then we took her to Crieff and climbed the Knock (hill).

 
And to Queensferry.
 
We did some of this the other week with Frogdancer Lisa https://dancingwithfrogs.wordpress.com/2015/09/ but it's always nice to see things through visitors' eyes.
 

Another day we walked along the Water of Leith...


... which has acquired these balanced-stone sort-of-sculptures since we were last there. A local chap has evidently been making them. And why not?

She's now down with Daughter 2 in London for a few days. I wish I could have gone too... but this weekend we've been away (yet again - it's all go here) with our walking group to Drumnadrochit. It's a good name, isn't it? Up there with Auchtermuchty, Ecclefechan and Freuchie.

5 comments:

  1. Those are GREAT names indeed! Love the photos and really want to visit Scotland, land of my Grieve relatives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful names, for sure! Glad to hear you had a good time with your friend......we have internet friendships that we treasure too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:44 pm

    So happy to know that you all had a good time.

    I adore Scottish place names; Tomintoul is another favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it is any comfort to you, I find that being photographed in windy conditions makes me look short too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See now. We are thinking of Snowdonia at half-term, but these Kelpies are haunting me...

    ReplyDelete