Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Hail Macbeth


We took ourselves up north for a two-day mini-holiday to visit some places that we've always meant to go to. First we went to Scone (pronounced "Scoon") Palace, the home of the Earl of Mansfield. The main part of the building isn't particularly old, dating from the early 1800s, but there are bits of the mediaeval house - in which lots of historic things happened - inside it. It's a lovely house and, as with many stately homes these days, is still lived in by the family but is also used for weddings and corporate events.



Their lands are very extensive and they have pleasant gardens, with better lupins that I can manage at the moment. Clearly the Earl doesn't have my slug problem.



This is one of his Highland cows - pleasantly fluffy to keep it warm in the cold Scottish winter.


Then we went on to Branklyn, a lovely garden with lots of mecanopsis (beautiful!)




and primulas and rhododendron. I never manage to keep mecanopsis for long, I think because they get smothered by other things. My garden isn't big enough. Unlike the Earl's.



The next day we visited Glamis (pronounced "Glams") Castle (as in "Hail, Macbeth, thane of Glamis"), the childhood home of the Queen Mother. Here she is with her mother, we assume, on one side and - well, who knows? a sister? on the other. She came from a big family. This portrait, which isn't actually blurred as in my photo, hangs in the kitchen, which is now the café.



Like most old buildings, it's had lots of bits added over the years. The main part dates from the 14th century, so as Macbeth lived in the 11th century he was never actually in this version of the castle.



We rather liked this guinea pig's headstone, though weren't very keen on the Earl of Strathmore's use of inverted commas.



He too has a pleasant garden. He's in his 30s and unmarried, so I imagine is going to be a good catch for someone.

And then we went on to an antiques centre, where I nobly didn't buy anything, and after that we came home again. Two-day holidays are the way forward, I feel. You don't have to pack much and not too many weeds grow in your absence.

7 comments:

  1. Not too much packing or washing when you get back either. I once went to Edinburgh for the day but that was too much of a rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers-I haven't seen these. They may not grow well over here-especially in Texas! I think 2 day holidays are just right also. I'm always ready to sleep in my own bed after that long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha -- you've hit on the perfect vacation schedule -- although, I hinnk a 3-day holiday might be more to my liking. ;-D Looks like you two had a good time -- I love that you're taking advantage of all that is around you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two days are perfect, just enough time to look around and enjoy, but not enough for things to fall apart at home. I'm hoping for some overnight trips next year when I'm retired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two or three days are just right - no heavy bags (or piles of washing when you get home), and you don't have to worry too much about watering the garden or sonething going wrong while you're away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two or three days are just right - no heavy bags (or piles of washing when you get home), and you don't have to worry too much about watering the garden or sonething going wrong while you're away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely places to visit! I've never seen those blue poppies, and I don't think they do well in northeast Ohio! I tried once. They just died, and quickly....Nice to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete