Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Hypothetically...


We took the two older grandchildren to the Glasgow Science Centre the other day, where they did lots of stuff like this...


... and this. Daughters 1 and 2 and also Littlest Granddaughter came too, but the latter mainly just watched.


She is very delightful.


And then on Sunday we went to Perth, where we celebrated the Unbloggable Toddler's second birthday (somewhat early) by spending lots of time in a playpark. Look at her beautiful blonde hair. She now calls us Granny and Grandpa - hurray.


Here is the Forth Rail Bridge as we went home on the train after a lovely day.

I'm aware that droning on about the grandchildren isn't terribly exciting so how about this? The other day I asked Mr Life if, given the choice, he would like to be young again, and without a moment's hesitation he said, "Oh no, I couldn't go through that again" (or words to that effect). This was slightly insulting, since most of "that" has been marriage to me... however, setting that aside (he claimed he was talking about the pressures of work, so let's believe him) - would you, o bloggy friends, like to be young again? I certainly would. The only problem would be that I would miss the grandchildren horribly - and that would be a great problem (but I don't think this is what Mr L was thinking about).

And there are, of course, things that I would do differently - not refrain from marrying Mr L but, you know, look after myself better in various ways - and many things that I'd try to worry about less.

When my brother and I were children, we had adjacent bedrooms and used to talk after lights out, and every now and then I'd ask him something and he'd say, "Hmm, I don't answer hypothetical questions." And this is a very hypothetical one. But - would you like to live your life again?

10 comments:

  1. No! I don't think I could handle raising teenagers again! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly? NO! All that angst, all that pressure in the last job? Definitely not.

    You don't drone on about the grandchildren, you tell us about them and, personally, I enjoy what you write especially since I shall never have any.




    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah hah, a Life after Life question! And the answer is, probably not. I think about the book and how each different life choice led to other issues or tragedies. I will have to deal with what I have and who I am. Mostly happily. And I love hearing stories of your grands, since I don't have any yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't want to be young again. I feel sorry for young people. If I could be healthy I would be more than happy to be the age I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, it's a yes from me, especially if I started again with the knowledge and hindsight I've gained up to this point. I'd do some things so very differently second time round! But it's still a yes either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny you should ask. I've just been sent some photos taken in my last term at school. I look sad and not very well. It reminded me about that time quite vividly. I had broken up with a long term boyfiend and was dreading my A-levels. My future felt very uncertain. I think I am happier now. Life was rather fraught then and I didn't feel I had much control over it. The only thing I'd like back is my size 8 figure and long dark hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, quite. Not that I ever had a size 8 figure... but I'd happily settle now for being the shape I was then.

      Delete
  7. No. I would not like to relive my wonderful husband dying of Alzheimer's northe several years after they told me I had nine months to live in 2010, nor.......lots of other health-related difficult times. I can remember the good times in the past, but now is also a very good time with my kids and grandchildren all living in the same rather small Ohio township where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Times change. I'm happy to consider answering hypothetical questions now. As to your current question, I'm somewhat astonished that I have made it to 70 in reasonable health and wealth and wouldn't want to risk treading a less-fortunate path next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, youngest little granddaughter looks so adorable! And I love that middle calls you the same names we'll be called -- although our eldest isn't saying much yet (hmmmm).

    As for your question, can I say maybe? I wouldn't want to go through "that" again, although there are so many things I'd like to do over and I do miss my little boys. But, as you say, I'd miss the grandbabies. I'd definitely go back though to have healthy parents again -- I really miss that. AND -- I LOVE that your brother commented LOL!

    ReplyDelete