Thursday, October 25, 2018

Big heads, little feet etc


Doesn't life whizz by, and isn't it odd to consider that fairly soon (in whizzing terms) it'll go on zooming along without one? I'm 68 now. Maybe 10 good years, if I'm lucky, and that's nothing. But meanwhile, Grandson made me up a set of instructions for drawing flames.


He told me about the moai on Easter Island and drew a picture of one. I knew about the big heads but I didn't know that they were called moai. Some of them have bodies beneath the surface but I think that Harley Quinn from the Lego Batman movie (something else I know very little about) is probably not lurking in an underground cave nearby.


Biggest Granddaughter drew her toy guinea pig chatting to her toy bunny. She's at school now; very grown-up.


Son-in-Law 1 and I took them to the Glasgow Science Centre and they got very wet doing experiments with water. I didn't notice that No Climbing notice till afterwards.


Mr Life and I went for a walk in East Lothian with our walking friends on a perfect autumn day.


So lovely.


Then Son and Daughter-in-Law came for a couple of days with Middle Granddaughter, the Unbloggable Toddler. Here are her cute little boots. She's also very lovely. She now calls us Gwanny and Gwandpa and has accepted us as part of her staff. This makes me very happy, though we'll never see her nearly often enough. Still, I'll have to aim to be the less-frequently-seen but therefore the more exciting grandmother. You think?


Here she is playing in the sandpit.


And here she is sitting on a tractor at Gorgie City Farm.


I went up town today and wondered as I often do (no, not at all biased...) why anyone who liked living in a city would want to live anywhere but here. (Well, or Venice. And possibly Florence, but then - they would be far too hot in the summer.) Though it must have looked even better 100 years ago, without the cars and bins and things painted on the road and various bits of street furniture.

100 years ago, my future granny was working as a sewing maid in Edinburgh and my future grandfather was coming home from the war, having been shot in the hand at Gallipoli.

4 comments:

  1. The light in your pictures is stunning. I need to plan a trip there before too much time whizzes by. I'm sure there are still Grieves in Langholm, so perhaps I can even do some genealogy work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your oldest grands are so big. It seems like last year you were showing their baby pics. Kind of hard to comment on middle grand.....cute shoes.
    100 years ago my dads dad had returned injured from WWI to England. My grandmother was his nurse and they married in 1918 in England. A year later my daddy was born. My mom and dad immigrated to the USA in 1950. Was your dad in WWII? My daddy was captured at Dunkirk and held in German prison camps for 4 years. Interesting but very difficult times. patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are very authentic flames! I love the detailed instructions, it shows a very well-ordered mind :) 100 years ago my oldest grandparents would have been about 15 - still at school? seems unlikely ... I should have asked more questions abut their lives of course. Thank heavens for blogs! Our grandchildren can see it all, with photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, there's a lot packed in here Pam! I agree with you -- I don't know why anyone who lives in a city would want to live anywhere else -- if only I could get the rest of my family to agree! We're very excited as oldest has just announced that they'll be moving home next summer -- it will be SO fun to have the babies so close. Although, now I have the opposite worry that you have with the unbloggable toddler -- I fear that I'll become the boring, chopped meat granny, and the other 2.5 hours away granny will become the more exciting, less frequently seen granny. Why is there always a trade-off??? (Oh, and please thank N for the flame drawing lesson -- very interesting!!!)

    ReplyDelete