Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Back!


Well, Happy New Year! There's a bit of me that can't quite bear to think of another year starting with none of last year's sorrows alleviated; but that's not the attitude, is it? - so onward and upward, counting all blessings. Such as the little person above and below, Littlest Granddaughter, who's a home wrecker and DOESN'T SLEEP DURING THE NIGHT but we love her so much anyway.


Thanks so much to Thicket House, who noticed my longer-than-usual absence. I'm touched. It was just due to having family to stay - I didn't want to lose time with them. Daughter 2 and Littlest were here from the 18th till the 30th, my brother and sister-in-law were here from the 22nd till today, with various others arriving and departing at various times in between.


Littlest (what am I going to call her if Son and DIL have another girl? - we'll discover whether it's a girl or boy tomorrow) is at the stage of tottering fairly efficiently but often preferring to hold a hand or some piece of furniture for extra safety.



Daughter 2 iced the cake, as usual. She's not getting much sleep, poor soul (see above) so it wasn't quite as elaborate as often, but it's rather elegant all the same. Or should I say, it was rather elegant before much of it got eaten.


Not very long before Christmas I finished the quilt for my niece: my tenth. The middle bit is quite simple but I was pleased to succeed (more or less) in making a half-square triangle border. I do like making quilts: it's not really difficult (at my level), just a bit fiddly, and I enjoy making something that's unique. I mean, I'm sure that my design is far from original but no one's done it in those exact fabrics.



The observant among you will notice that the bottom cream border is broader than the side and top cream borders, in order to make the triangles fit the sides. A proper quilter would possibly have planned ahead and made sure that the middle bit was slightly shorter, but I am not that person.


Here's my niece trying it out.

Next time I feel I need to try something that at least looks more complicated. I need to challenge myself. You think? Not that I'm a great one for challenges... .




3 comments:

  1. Oh, so glad to see you are back and were quiet for the best of reasons. I like that quilt! A pattern I like a lot is Jacob's Ladder. I've never made one. You can use a lot of leftover fabric with it because each square is different. Your littlest will learn to sleep at night and your dd will not be so tired. Or so I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY -- you finished another beautiful quilt! It sounds like you had a house-full for a long time -- I'm betting you're worn out! Littlest is adorable -- we have one who doesn't sleep too (and it's not our littlest -- she sleeps like a champ which is a welcome relief to her tired parents!) Have you started planning your new quilt??? Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:50 pm

    I don't know how you manage to make quilts as well as entertain those children!

    Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete