Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Edinburgh in the spring


I went to the dentist for a check-up today and took some photos on the way back to the bus stop.


This is the New Town. It must have all looked better when it was first built (from 1760 onwards) because cars and street furniture don't exactly add to the aesthetic, but I imagine there were a lot of carriages and horse droppings then.


It's all rather handsome, though.


I do like living here, especially now that spring's well on its way.

I've just got back to patchwork after a bit of a break, what with visiting London and various other social and other events. I'm making stars in the middle (well, not actually the middle) of 16-patches, which isn't easy for a person whose spatial awareness isn't her best skill. I keep having to think about which way the points of the stars should go. Fortunately the squares are only 3 and a half inches, so mistakes are fairly quick to rip out. (Ask me how I know this... .) I've only done one 16-patch (out of twenty) so far (well, apart from the one I did a while ago and then decided that the white star didn't show up enough so I'd do yellow stars instead). Most of the fabrics in the one I've completed didn't have an up and a down, but some of the other fabrics do, so this will be an extra feature to bear in mind (and then get wrong anyway). Maybe I'll get quicker as I go along?


Hey ho. It's madness but also satisfying. (Eventually.)

2 comments:

  1. I remember some of these scenes from being in the New Town in 2010. What lovely memories. We stayed in University housing near Arthur's Seat...I like your new quilt! It's going to be very satisfying when you finish it! Strong contrasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The New Town looks like the Old Town to me, compared to our ultra modern buildings, and I still would love to visit. It looks beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete