Friday, August 21, 2020

Not exactly lockdown but quarantine instead. Thanks, system. Week 22


The hedge chaps came. Poor things, it was very hot.


They set to.


They worked away.


 And here it is(n't). Gone.


I've certainly gained a lot of space, but you couldn't yet describe it as garden. At the moment it looks dreadful and is completely untillable. As I expected, there are stumps (soon to be ground down by a stump-grinding chap) but also lots and lots and lots of lilac suckers, ivy, stones, heaps of earth etc etc and huge quantities of roots. There was also the remains of a fox, which had lain down and died some time ago in the far corner of the garden, behind the sitooterie (or arbour) made by Mr L and Daughter 2 twenty years ago. Mr L dealt with the ex-fox. It's one of the things I keep him for. I don't do dead things. Well done, Mr L. The sitooterie is past its best, so will also have to be dealt with, as will the heap of rubble left by the previous owners, upon which the sitooterie was built. (On the rubble, not on the previous owners.)

So... I think I'm pleased. I'll be a lot more pleased next year, when it's smooth like a bowling green with a clematis-clad fence. I hope.

Thank you so much, by the way, to the commenter from Malaysia. Goodness, that's a long way away. I tried to look at your blog but my computer screamed in red at me that I mustn't, because it was very unsafe, so I didn't. But hello anyway.

Still no word of Biggest Granddaughter's lost test. Quarantine is over on Monday for her anyway so it hardly matters now. But it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the system.

6 comments:

  1. Projects are tough because there is always Step #1, and it feels overwhelming at that point. However, it will all get done, one step at a time! A dead fox, oh, dear. I'm impressed by Mr L dealing with it. I wouldn't have either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it certainly opens up the space, but I fear you will be battling against the Ivy etc for the next year or two! I chuckled at your comment "That's one of the reasons I keep him" - my family's expression is 'He's a Keeper.' Same thing. Mice in traps are his responsibility here. Has the Covid test result come back yet? Fingers crossed it's all clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little by little your amazing project will be completed...Next spring it should all be a thing of new beauty. Keeping my fingers crossed for oldest granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is sitooterie an actual word spoken by other people ... because it sounds awfully like something made up to baffle foreigners

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello from India too :)
    Been following your blog from the time when you were working :) :)
    I think 2007.

    Regards,
    Smita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a difference! Now you have SO much space. Will you save the sitooterie? The memories! Can't wait to watch this space blossom -- I know you'll make it beautiful!

    ReplyDelete