Saturday, August 22, 2020

Not much is happening but... virus week 22 - Saturday


1) My husband has shaved off his Covid-19 beard. That means the virus is over, surely? (No?) We recently found this photo of him when he last had a beard (for one year) 40 years ago. The lady is his granny. Her genes gave him the white hair he has now, I think.


2) I've been getting on with the African fabrics quilt now that our visitors have gone (but we miss them). I can't say that I love it but I'm getting slightly used to the brightness. It's probably not at all traditional to do stars on African fabrics (I have no idea) but my friend chose them from photos of my previous quilts. The middle bit is going to be filled in with bigger strips. Or something.

3) Tara! - last night Biggest Granddaughter's Covid test result appeared and she - doesn't have the virus. Which we were pretty sure about, but it's nice to have it confirmed and be out of quarantine. The 48-hour test took 10 hours under a week, which isn't hugely impressive. However, the children can now go back to school and we can be back to sort-of-normal.

4) And finally - sitooterie - is it a real word? asks Lynley. Well, it's a real Scottish word, such as tumshie, bahookie, gallus, tapsalteerie, smirr, bauchles, baffies... .

(turnip, rear end, sparky/lively/bold, upside down/mixed up, soft moisture in the air/very light rain, old shoes, slippers...)

3 comments:

  1. The quilt is looking great! I liked Mr L's beard. Of course the last two men I've dated have been bearded, so I'm used to it. Glad that Biggest Granddaughter doesn't have that nasty virus and that life can get back to normalish. I wondered about that word, but didn't want to ask...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is very interesting...You can google African quilts and see many examples, though you need to be sure you are looking at African quilts and not African American ones which are different....The quality of light from different places around the globe has a lot to do with which colors the people who live in those places use. In Africa or India, for instance, the lighter colors used in northern would be completely washed out and dull in southern areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a negative covid test! You're doing a great job on your friends quilt -- lucky friend! And thank you for all those fun Scottish words and their definitions -- I wear baffies a lot, so maybe I'll start calling them that LOL.

    ReplyDelete