Wednesday, January 27, 2021

School and play (and the virus)

Home schooling continues. There's been a bit of school-directed Burns' Day stuff (it was Monday) and Scottishness in general. Here's Biggest Granddaughter drawing a Highland cow. 

Yesterday we went after school to Duddingston Golf Course, closed to golfing because of the weather. We managed to visit 6 of the 14 bridges over the burn (Big Grandson really likes bridges) before I decided that it was getting a bit dark, so we headed for home and got there just as rather cold rain started falling on us. 

They can run faster than I can but I caught them up before we got to the road. 

Today we went to the local park, climbed on rocks and played with a ball.

Then Big Grandson got to play on his computer before tea. He just loves this game: Stepford County Railway. It's about ... well, a railway. You get to "drive" a train. Grandpa introduced him to it. 

Maybe tomorrow I should get him to tidy his computer desk. 

I feel very fortunate getting to spend so much time with them and very glad that they're not secondary pupils doing complicated maths. I passed Higher Maths at school in 1967, but trigonometry, calculus and much of algebra and geometry have since floated out from my mind. I didn't try that hard to stop them. 

The virus figures are flattening a bit but are still high. Life won't be back to anything like normal any time soon. Sigh. 

 

10 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful! I live for my FaceTime "chats" with grandson; he is so smiley and active. Poor Ashley is worn out. I wish I could help. Your first shots are coming up soon, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are waiting to hear today's announcement about whether or not schools will stay closed after half-term. I am trapped in a world of surds, quadratic linear equations, and indices. This morning I had the respite of analysing Simon Armitage's Kid poem. Do you know it? All about the painful dynamic of children growing up and being pushed out into the world. This is definitely a darker Lockdown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't know it. Will look it up.

      Delete
  3. At least you were 'nearly home; when the weather packed it in, I can guarantee we'd've been at the far end of a walk! Did you know there's a Brio Railway app for your grandson. On my screen it shows as "BRIO Railway". I'm sure you'd find it if you went to the App store and searched. My grandson loved it, before he discovered Minecraft, about which he is obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure he'd love it but I don't want him to spend more time on the computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Computer time is strictly limited for our young man too, but I'd rather he was on creative programmes than the awful, toy-selling rubbish so many children's sites are. And don't get me started on the american accents!

      Delete
  5. You're so funny -- "I didn't try very hard to stop them" made me LOL. I feel the same way about some of the coding stuff I did when I was working. I'll walk through the room when Son2 is watching work videos and think how happy I am that I don't have to understand those words any more LOL. Looks like you're at least getting some wonderful outdoor walks -- and some with the children!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that any time with Grands is good time. They will never forget "school with Granny" and look back on these days fondly. I'm with you on the topic of higher Maths.... ugh! So glad you get the vaccine... It will be months before we qualify! Our numbers out here are going down as well, but so far none of the mutated strains are in this area... but give us another day or two and it probably will be. I'm getting royally sick of this thing! In February I get this feeling that I want to go SOMEPLACE WARM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I highly recommend Mr Carlos as the best forex/ bitcoin trader, I make as much as $5,000 weekly with $500 in a week. You can contact him if you need help via WhatsApp; Via whatsapp: (+12166263236)

    ReplyDelete