Saturday, January 30, 2021

Spring is coming. Slowly

On Friday afternoons, there's no school and the children always come to us. Biggest Granddaughter wanted to paint with her hands. I hate getting dirty hands and so my instinct was to say it would be better to use brushes but... in fact there was no reason not to allow her so I did - even though she painted the backs of her hands too - hmm. Award me some Granny points, please! 

Though it's still January, just, there are definite signs of spring, such as the snowdrops in the garden and also the beginnings of colour in some crocuses. After the recent snow, it was quite mild today, and sunny, which was cheering. 

We walked along the river, which was still rather full and fast, presumably with snow still melting off the hills.  

We saw a cormorant (or possibly a shag, but Daughter 1's father-in-law thinks it's a cormorant and he knows these things) sitting drying its wings. We've never seen one here before - herons, yes, but not cormorants. People stopped and watched it and we had the cormorant/shag discussion. Human contact!

Up we climbed to the art gallery,

where, rather to our surprise, there was still ice on the pond. 

And then home, 

with the sun in our eyes. 

So it's all right really, but we do miss the absent family and, sadly, have no immediate prospect of seeing them. 

With the home-schooling and two evenings of choir Zoom and time spent emailing friends that I'm not seeing just now, I'm no longer making much progress with the photo cataloguing. I actually hit a bit of a wall when I got to the photos of my parents and their friends, in their oldish but still vigorous age, on lovely holidays in Crete and Tenerife and Madeira and so on. I know that they were very lucky with their friends and holidays and no one lives for ever, and I need to get a grip - but it did make me sad so... a break from that isn't a disaster. Except that the kitchen is rather full of piles of photos... which I'm not putting away because every evening I plan to get back to it. 

But possibly not tonight.

 

7 comments:

  1. Those trips down memory lane can be fraught with emotion. That's why my late husband's photos are still sitting in the garage and I haven't gone through them yet. In the U.S. we have fingerpainting. It's a thing! I dislike having messy hands also, so I was never a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know the nonsense poem by Christopher Isherwood which start 'The common cormorant or shag
    Lays eggs inside a paper bag.

    I reommend it for a touch of silliness. I don't like dirty hands either - could nevrr become a potter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good, if not exactly ornithologically correct! No, I couldn't be a potter either. Dirty hands!

      Delete
  3. Sorry, can't type straight today even with clean hands🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always get Granny points -- you're the best Granny ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! FULL Granny Points for allowing finger painting. I only allow water color painting outdoors, so not a winter activity. Thank goodness my Grandson (who is here with us every day after school) is a builder and happy with Lego and Lincoln Logs. I've thought of getting some Brio for him to have here, but want to find some second-hand to try before I start building up a full set. He also likes farm tractors and such... I would have no idea what sort of bird that was, but I know a lot of those that are in our area. Not a bird watcher as such, but interested in knowing what's around me. My amaryllis opened today. Hop over to my blog to see a photo of it!
    PS I have started on a quilt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I highly recommend Mr Carlos as the best forex/ bitcoin trader, I make as much as $5,000 weekly with $500 in a week. You can contact him if you need help via WhatsApp; Via whatsapp: (+12166263236)

    ReplyDelete