Monday, November 29, 2021

The best laid plans...

This is my suitcase, packed to go down to London on the train last Saturday for my visit to Daughter 2 and Littlest Granddaughter.

Then Friday night was very stormy; and power cables came down between here and further south. All trains were cancelled and indeed remain so today. So I couldn't go - a small problem compared with other events in the world, but disappointing. 

The particularly trying thing is that I usually go down on a Friday, but didn't this time, for reasons which seemed more important then than they do now. If I had, I'd be there at the moment. 

And then, which didn't improve matters, it snowed - as had been forecast. Not much, and most of it has gone now, but it's jolly cold. Of course, it's winter, so this is reasonable enough. 

In addition to which, Daughter 2 and her husband have sold their London flat (or, as much as the strange English system allows them to consider it sold - it could still fall through) and are looking for a house. It's astonishing, and very depressing, how much house you don't get in London for your ridiculously large sum of money. So that's very stressful. I think I'm more stressed about it than they are, in fact. 

First world problems, I know. But I'm feeling somewhat bah humbug right now. I shall go and do something useful to try to cheer myself up. 

 

3 comments:

  1. At least you are safe here and not stranded on a cold train!
    The English system of house selling is nerve wracking..and gazumping is criminal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrr, and SNOW? We are having very warm weather right now--but way too much rain. Our mountains need snow for the skiers and for our summer melt which gives us the water we need for agriculture, watering, etc. Hope you soon get to see Daughter 2 and family. It's similar here; housing prices are out of sight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no that sucks! Nothing worse than looking forward to something and having it fall over at the last moment :( Hopefully you can find something fun to do instead (snowballs! we don't get snow, it looks amazing)

    ReplyDelete