Monday, November 15, 2021

The maturing sun

I am absolutely not saying that global warming is a good thing, but its effects on Scotland are not altogether unpleasant. The weather is still mild (unlike the cold Novembers of my youth) and there's been some lovely sunshine. On Saturday we went up the hill, 

looking across at the golfers on the course where we had such wonderful rambles during lockdown.

The sunshine makes the colours zing.

And having panted up, we rewarded ourselves with a sit on the convenient bench at the top, looking down over the golf course and the city. 

And then we proceeded down the other side

and further down to the road.

There was a rugby match on at Murrayfield, and many buses, some from surprisingly distant places, were parked along the main road . This one, from Friockheim, not too far away from where Son lives, has the pronunciation of its village (Free-come) helpfully printed on the side. 

I've started a quilt for one of the bunks that we've installed in our study for the few occasions when we'll have all the family together. 

The other morning I was sitting having an early breakfast and happened to glance over my shoulder out of the kitchen window. This is what I saw. A minute or two later I went to the front door to get a better photo but the sun had moved slightly and the sight wasn't quite so striking. 

Complete tangent - this (above) was in the Sunday Times yesterday. I definitely don't have any of the ingredients in my fridge. Does anyone? And what are those orange things that look like tinned peaches? 

Yesterday it was still mild but less sunny and we walked with the Edinburgh family in Leith, along the river. 

We're lucky to see so much of these small people - not actually so small nowadays. Big Grandson only has a few inches to go before he's taller than me - and I can already wear his shoes. Stop growing, little N!

Today it was glorious again. But it's already the middle of November, oh dear.

 

2 comments:

  1. Those flame trees are gorgeous! I would never have guessed at the pronunciation. I would have said Free ock hime. Not even close! Are those orange things the aged gouda?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never in a million years would I have said Free-come from Friockheim. It's very considerate of them to add the pronunciation to the bus. A thought for all the little Scottish towns that have the same issue (Hawick, I'm looking at you.) Our Novembers are also warmer than they used to be, but then our Aprils and Mays seem to be colder so I've wondered (the last few years) if the seasons are just shifting a little. XO

    ReplyDelete