Saturday, January 28, 2023

Here be dinosaurs

Big Grandson (11) still spends a lot of time drawing street scenes featuring buses, or railway lines with trains. He takes great care to make the vehicles as accurate as he can, though lately he's been comically filling these worlds with polar bears - or at least, versions of the polar bear cushion that he possesses. As he wisely says, they're easier to draw than people. I like his use of strong colours. Isn't it fascinating watching grandchildren grow up?

We went on a lovely walk last Saturday with our walking chums. We were fortunate in the weather and I feel fortunate too that I can still walk reasonable distances despite my "severely arthritic" right hip. 

This is the River Esk, just outside the city. 

We ended up in Musselburgh and sat for a while, enjoying the sunshine. 


This archer points his (imaginary - not sure why) bow over the river, in the direction where various arrows are to be found, symbolising the Roman occupation and various other historical events which took place around here over the centuries. 


We had a visit to the Botanics, admiring the signs of spring, hurrah. Snowdrops, 


hellebores

and viburnum - very fragrant. 

I have at last finished Small Grandson's quilt. I very much doubt if he remembers asking for it in about August (he's only 3) but I hope he still likes dinosaurs. I held on to Medium Granddaughter's dragon one till both were finished - will she remember? Who knows? And we were going to take them up today, but sadly I've got Covid. I vaguely thought I might be immune... but no. I'm not terribly ill - it's just like a bad cold - but need to keep away from people. And I can't smell anything, such as the hyacinths in the dining room. 

I keep thinking that I ought to try a more complicated quilt. But not for a 3-year-old. And I'm not sure whether I really want to challenge myself. I just like fiddling around with fabrics, seeing what it all looks like when sewn together, and hand quilting in a sort of let's-see-what-this-looks-like sort of way.


Still, my amaryllises are starting to bloom. 

Before I knew that I had Covid, I took the Edinburgh Two to a trampoline centre. They are so lovely. I am so lucky having these two here - though of course I wish the others were too. 


 

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you have Covid tho it sounds like a mild case luckily. I love N's drawings. Best Wishes to you all. Thinking of you as we are being deluged with rain here in the North Island of NZ.
    Get well soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! Covid certainly is limiting. I'm glad you're not terribly sick, but you still need to take it really easily for a week or so. I know quite a few people our age who tried to go on 'as normal' and have ended up taking way longer to properly recover. I love the quilt, I'm sure Mr 3 will love it too. And you've done it so cleverly that once he's too grown up for dinosaurs he will still enjoy it, as they're not too intrusive. Get well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about the Covid! I'm sure my time will come as well. Grandson's drawing is excellent--what a gift. Love the dinosaur quilt! I'm sure he'll love it. I'm looking for signs of spring also. (not seeing any so far)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandson's drawing is excellent - so detailed and the colours are wonderful. I laughed at his polar bear remark.
    Sorry to hear you have Covid. I thought I'd avoided it but contracted it in September, It was very mild but the long Covid that followed flattened me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no the covid got you! hope it stays just a bad cold and nothing worse ... your quilt is absolutely beautiful I'm sure he will love it!

    ReplyDelete