Monday, January 02, 2023

Hello 2023

A long silence from me, but I don't suppose anyone much noticed. It's been a busy, but lovely time. Littlest Granddaughter and her mum, Daughter 2, arrived on December 20 (I think) and since then various others have been arriving and then gradually departing - until this evening it's just the old chap and me once more. 

I now never like to post recognisable photos of the family these days - one hears too much about foul deeds on the internet - so you'll just have to imagine the lovely pictures that I might have posted. 


Daughter 2, Littlest Granddaughter and I  went to the local playpark and skate park, where Littlest bravely scooted down some minor slopes. Like her granny, she isn't one to take major risks. 



By Christmas or a few days before, everyone else had arrived. At one point there were twelve of us sleeping in the house, and sixteen for dinner, which was quite a lot for a house this size. But it all went well. 

Then bit by bit they all went away apart from my brother and his wife. The weather has been pretty damp, especially one day, when the river flooded, though not into anyone's house. This was the day afterwards - the level of the water had been up over the wall to the left, and you can see the debris caught in the fence. 

Here's my brother, filming the unusually high and fast-flowing river. 

Big Grandson, now eleven and a half, has suddenly grown and is now as tall as I am. Granted, I'm only 5 feet 2 and a bit, but still... He still likes his Brio. He's such a nice boy. 

Well, Happy New Year to anyone who's still reading this. Let's hope that at least some of the problems of the world get sorted out in 2023. What terrible things are going on; and yet how lovely life can be, and so let's concentrate on the good things whenever possible. 

 

7 comments:

  1. Of course we noticed! Just asumed you'd been busy. Happy New Year from Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd noticed, and hoped you were having a great, family-fun time ... as you were, albeit with a lot of cooking ! At 11 grandson will be shooting up - easily able to raid his father's sock drawer now. I'm in favour of your granddaughter's caution on her scooter - a sign of great intelligence, in my opinion. Our older grandchild (7 3/4) is very bright, and weighs up risk carefully, his little sister (5 in a couple of weeks) is far more adventurous. She watches far, far older children on equipment and then just does it herself, while we hold our collective breaths! Family time is wonderful, and getting cousins to know each other a special joy, but it is exhausting. Our family gathering was at a distant beach, in the luxurious holiday home of DIL's brother's wife's parents (Whew! That is complicated!). A wonderful gathering, and meant we had little responsibility, and we were able to 'retire' to the nearest good hotel when we'd had enough. Everyone was happy. They had a large boat and went crayfishing on Christmas Eve... delicious, fresh crays in abundance!

    Happy New Year to you. Keep safe, keep well, keep happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely noticed but was aware of the big family doings and knew you must be busy. It sounds like such a wonderful time! Your house must have been packed although it has many rooms where people could hang out. A huge positive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lot of people, and what a lot of fun! Wonderful memories to keep close. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 2023 to You Both from NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing a Happy New Year, from Australia. I haven't been blogging much lately, but always have plans but never feel my life is interesting to others. May be 2023 will be different. I do enjoy reading blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Pam! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get here -- I just can't seem to keep up - even in slow lil' January. It looks like you had a wonderful holiday with everyone home -- that's the way it should be! XO

    ReplyDelete