Saturday, September 19, 2026

Back home again

Bit of a long silence. I've been staying with my husband's cousin for a week, because she's single and lives alone and has just had a hip replacement operation. This, above, is the view from my bedroom window in her house. She lives not far from us. It's been a bit... odd. It's not easy to need help if you're normally independent, and it's not necessarily easy to do things for someone who normally lives alone and who definitely has their own systems for doing things. Anyway, I'm glad I went and I'm glad I'm home! 

Frustratingly, it was beautiful weather while I was there, mainly sitting around talking, and my garden, somewhat neglected while we had visitors in August, needs a lot of tidying up. We did a bit of gardening earlier this afternoon but then the rain came on quite hard, and though it's nice again now, everything is wet and I don't feel inclined to go out again. I'm sitting here listening to Brahms's Song of Destiny, which our musical director goes into raptures about but which isn't yet hugely gripping me. However, I need to learn it, since we're going to sing it in a concert in the spring. It's growing on me.

Minimalising Monday didn't happen this week because I wasn't here, but I was casting about yesterday for something to dispose of when I came across this photo of my paternal grandmother. Son-in-Law 1 kindly put it through some magic thing and produced the version below, which is much better, though she had white hair by the time this photo was taken. I think, but don't really know, that she had light brown hair as a young woman. 

This was her passport photo for going abroad with my missionary aunt and uncle to be looked after by the hospital in which my aunt was a doctor, because, sadly, she had dementia by then. She was getting confused by her early seventies, as far as I remember, and later my aunt had dementia too. I think I'm all right so far... I didn't know her well because she moved down south when I was four or five. I remember that she saved the combings from her hair to plump out her bun, which struck me as a cunning idea when I was a small girl. 

We took a walk in the Botanics this morning, which were lovely as usual. 


It's getting a bit autumnal. 

These rudbeckias were making a fine show. 


And my favourite tree, the bald cypress, is still in full summer leaf. 
 

4 comments:

  1. Leaves are turning colour here, the hot summer has taken it's toll, the season has definitely changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back! It is difficult to take care of someone who has lived alone and is usually independent. Even my dear mother could try my patience over wanting everything done in precisely a certain way. I did make the effort to do so, but it was sometimes hard! She wanted her bed made in military precision and that's not really my style. :) I love autumn as the trees start to change color. It's almost time to buy my cyclamen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing photo transformation. The leaves are starting to turn here too. I hope you get some time to work in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Everyone! I have some good news for you if you tested positive for Herpes 1 or 2. There is a permanent cure for Herpes virus, Don’t be too skeptical to take good care of yourself because you heard our Government said there is no cure to Herpes Virus, That was my first thought until I finally met a great herbalist from west Africa Nigeria and his name is Herbalist Doc Kham The CareGiver, His Herbs work very effectively but it has no side effects. Stop believing in our bad Government because they didn’t want to help us then we need to help ourselves and earlier we realize this and earlier it will be better for us all, HSV have a complete cure because I was cure from this so called Hsv-1 After completing the herbal medication that was ship to me by herbal Doc. Kham for two weeks and it has been two months. I have not gotten any symptoms or outbreaks in my body, Glory to God that he has sent a wonderful and kind hearted man to me in regaining my health back to me. All I want you to do is to reach out to him via dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com or visit You can also visit his website; https://herbalistdrkhamcaregiver.simdif.com/. Take a try of his medication and see for yourself.

    ReplyDelete