Monday, February 13, 2017

Keeping busy


Nothing much has been happening here, or nothing of interest to the world, but Daughter 2 has pointed out that she hasn't had much to read recently in the blog, so here I go. On Saturday, we visited Son and DIL and beautiful Granddaughter-the-Younger up north. I'm not allowed to put pictures of her on the internet so you'll just have to imagine her big shiny eyes, huge smile (with, often, a sticky-out tongue), peachy skin and general loveliness. Here we are, taking her for a walk in Camperdown Park. It was somewhat chilly.



It's amaryllis season in Life Towers. They sit on the landing window sill looking rather boring all year and in January or February they have four days of glory and then go back on the landing window sill. I haven't the heart to throw them out. They do multiply somewhat, though.




Yesterday I took the little ones to the Scottish National Gallery. Grandson had seen this picture before and was keen to see it again (and have a cake in the cafĂ©). It's by Frederic Edwin Church and features Niagara Falls from the American side in 1867. It's rather fine. I'm not sure why he's a particular fan of waterfalls - they don't measure up to traffic lights, naturally (I'm not sure that Mr Church painted any traffic lights; he missed a trick there) but he really likes them and this is rather larger waterfall than any he's seen in real life. I was there in 1970, though on the Canadian side.



Today we took the little ones to the Glasgow Transport Museum. This is supposedly a fire engine. It's not very realistic but it has a steering wheel and flashy lights and is popular with small children.



The building is by Zaha Hadid and is frankly not very pretty (to my mind) - I'm sure it's very clever, though. However, the museum itself is very well done and imaginatively laid out. There's a tall ship moored outside on the river. We will perhaps visit it on our next trip. (She's drawing on a piece of paper, by the way, not the table.)



Outside, there are very large chairs covered in artificial grass. Obviously the children had to sit on these. I'm so aware that in the blink of an eye, they'll be much bigger and not that keen to spend time with Granny and Grandpa, so I have to take every opportunity to do things with them now.

I hope they'll visit us in our dotage... .

5 comments:

  1. I think I would like the transport museum too. Quite like the waterfall and yes, enjoy them while they're young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm betting those little dolls will visit you all the time in your dotage -- the memories you're making with them are priceless. What lucky little cherubs -- and granny and grandpa too -- to be able to spend so much time together. I haven't seen our baby in too long but I'll be taking a short trip with them at the beginning of March, so, I'm very excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An eighty-something friend of ours just had an e-mail from her sophisticated, well-travelled twenty-something grand-daughter saying she and her brother have a week or two free later in the year, would she like to come travelling with them, she can choose the destination. I think your grandchildren will be more than happy to hang out with you in your dotage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your visits to museums! I need grandchildren so I have a great excuse (and company) to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds as if you are enjoying your time with them, and they with you, and I am sure they will always want to visit - but probably not as often, I suppose. Children do seem to have much busier lives, probably because their friends are always available for long conversations, snapchat etc.

    ReplyDelete