Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Things to do when you're not grannying




Ah, the days of idleness when the grandchildren aren't here... . It absolutely POURED on Saturday and Sunday (ah, the guilt when tourists have come for a weekend in Edinburgh in such weather!). But on Monday, there was a change to unbroken sunshine so we went to Swanston Brasserie and had coffee and a cheese scone looking out at the golf course through this window. I see why people might want to play golf, because courses are usually in beautiful settings. I might be tempted if it weren't for the necessity of hitting little white balls instead of just having a nice walk.



We then wandered past Swanston Village and up into the hills.




This is only about 20 minutes' drive from the house and you can hear distant traffic from the bypass ...





 but otherwise you could be in deep countryside.






There's the city below, ending abruptly at the road. Arthur's Seat, our main city hill, is on the horizon and the sea is beyond.



Being a horse here seems like a good life till you consider the drenching rain of the previous two days.



And eventually we walked downhill and then back up to the car park and normal life.
 

I've started cutting out a cot quilt for Daughter 2's baby, due October. The baby's room is white with red curtains and a striped rug in different reds and blues. It's such fun choosing the fabrics (with her) from my (oh dear) stash. (The red isn't really as scarlet as it looks here.) I'll sew these squares together as in the photo and then cut the nine-patches into quarters before sewing them together again in a different configuration. (Clear??) With my usual slight inaccuracy (despite all my best efforts) how could anything go wrong?

(Yes, Anna and Toffeapple, I did vaguely look out for Anne in Berwick. But I didn't see her. )

13 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you next week - whatever the weather. I shall expect an update on quilt progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather looks like it was perfect. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing you next week - whatever the weather. I shall expect an update on quilt progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, we had almost the same idea! Husband and I both played truant from work on Monday and walked up past Bonaly Reservoir, up Capelaw Hill for a picnic. Something magical about scotch eggs in the open air......
    And Berwick is about 15 minutes from our Borders bolt-hole. We really must try to actually liaise some time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's what I call a proper summer - more pleasant walks and less cowering indoors, hiding from heat, humidity and pesky biting insects....

    isabelle we need to up your quilting game. has Anna- Banana not introduced you yet to the joys of chain piecing?? And by the way, congrats to your daughter and to Granny-soon-to-be-of-four!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovey relaxed time you've had, with enough quilting to feel you've achieved something. Those spots of colour lift it and make it sing, don't they. I agree about the golf - you need a competitive nature to want to ruin a good walk with hitting that little ball fewer times than your companion, and I would much rather walk and notice the views.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely places you find to walk and look...I do like that quilt you are making for dd2, nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt! As you know, I'm fascinated by your photos since Scotland is next on my list to visit. And I never mind a bit of rain since I'm from Washington State. :) As for golf, my late husband loved it, so I caddied for him, and it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY!!! A new baby quilt in the works and it looks like it's going to be wonderful! I've seen the method you're talking about, but never done it and can't remember what the finished result looks like, so it will be fun to watch your quilt take shape. I also feel the same way you do about golf -- I just want to walk the courses. They have strict rules here that no walkers can be on the course though -- seems a shame to waste all that beauty -- the golfers I know only care about that little ball LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you have a stash now LOLOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful view from 20 minutes away from the city!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:13 pm

    Oh, I love things like this - we are all miles apart but this happens -

    (Yes, Anna and Toffeapple, I did vaguely look out for Anne in Berwick. But I didn't see her. )

    What wonder! Thank you my internet friends. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found out that we will be greeting Grandchild #2 in (several) months. I think I will take up your idea and make a baby quilt, too! I love your colors!

    ReplyDelete