Friday, November 01, 2019

Flowers and leaves


The weather's been lovely recently. I took a walk down to the recently-replanted Saughton Park to see what it's like in autumn. Many of the plants are herbaceous so the flowers were mainly over, but in the entrance conservatory the thyme (I think that's thyme?) was still full of colour and the scent was glorious.


I admired the bandstand, set among grasses. I don't hugely like them but they do provide lines of yellow.


And this bed, though there were few flowers, still showed colour in the foliage.


There were some late blooms, such as this poppy - splendidly red.


Verbena was still flowering - I really must try to get it established in my garden if it flowers as late as this. I love its movement in the wind.


Penstemon still soldiered on.


And by the river, golden leaves (can't quite think what that tree is, but it's pretty) and holly berries.

Autumn isn't my favourite season, but it certainly has its beauties.

3 comments:

  1. I've never been able to decide what my favorite season is. If yours isn't fall, what is it? Spring has too much mud for me and summer is too hot and muggy. (Here, at least -- I think it's beautiful there.) Our autumn has been so pretty this year -- the trees are more colorful than in some years. And, I do love the coziness of winter, so autumn and winter battle on for my first place award. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:21 pm

    I like Spring when it happens but I love it when Autumn comes and brings its harvests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to perfect weather for autumn color, we've had a spectacular fall, which is always nice. We're finally getting some nice weather--great for running, walking, and yard work like raking leaves. Sigh. I would imagine spring to be your favorite season, when the flowers start to bloom. :)

    ReplyDelete